Tango 'Super PC' crams a full PC into a smartphone-sized case

Scorpus

Staff member

A Kickstarter project to cram a full PC into a case roughly the size of a smartphone has recently reached its $100,000 funding goal, ensuring it'll be in the hands of backers towards the end of 2014.

The self-titled Tango 'Super PC' aims to be the only PC you'll need, replacing all gaming consoles, desktop PCs and IPTV boxes. It consists of both a small PC - roughly the size of a Samsung Galaxy S5, but thicker and slightly wider - plus a compact docking station that you slot it in to, giving the system all its necessary ports.

The idea with the Tango Super PC is to have multiple docking stations at all the locations you'd like to have a PC, such as in your home study, at your workplace, and perhaps next to your TV. You then can easily take the actual PC components in its compact case to each location, slot it into the dock, and have a fully-functional PC.

Components-wise we're looking at an entry-level AMD A6-5200 APU with a quad-core CPU clocked at 2.0 GHz and an integrated Radeon HD 8400 GPU, up to 8 GB of DDR3-1600 laptop RAM, and either a 32 GB or 128 GB SSD. Both the RAM and SSD will be upgradeable as well, thanks to their use of standard connectors.

tango super gaming gaming pc pocket pc

One of the more interesting aspects of the Tango's design is that the majority of the cooling system is located in the docking station, removing the need to have a full heatsink and fan in the PC itself. This allows the Tango to operate with a 30 watt TDP yet still fit into such a compact device.

Although the creators of the Tango PC claim that it can replace a game console, it's not exactly a performance powerhouse, and will struggle with the latest games on even the lowest settings. The product's Kickstarter page has a demo showing Battlefield 4 being played at 20-30 FPS, with settings all set to low and a resolution of 720p.

With that said, it should be a capable casual gaming PC and everyday workstation for web browsing and word processing. If you'd like to back the project in the few hours remaining, head over to their Kickstarter page. The Tango PC base model starts at $349 for 4 GB of RAM and a 32GB SSD, going up to $573 for 8 GB of RAM, a 128 GB SSD and pre-installed Windows 7.

Permalink to story.

That's all you have to do on Kickstarter - make a ridiculous claim and collect the money.

They can only replace a desktop that's about 7 years old at this point.

Last edited:
It seems like it would be better to come up with a home server that you put in the closet and then have small terminals around and/or use a smartphone/tablet to be a terminal. This way you have all the power of a full system with home portability.

This is aimed to be portable, so far you can have a tablet with W8 for the same price, for a bit more you have a more powerful device than the "Tango", very portable, screen and battery included, and for just a couple bucks you can get a usb or bluetooth keyboard... so.

I don't seem to get the logic behind all the "docks", specially at the price point.

All-in-one is in my opinion better than this cause you only have a monitor. This is small and portable, but still I don't see the reason why is this better than All-in-one.

I think this is good. Not performance wise though but I think the next and best technology step is to downsize. This project seems to do so. It is not that powerfull I agree, but parts are exchangable and uses standard connectors. Eventually this will be nothing more than just an odd gadget for the enthausiast but the stimulation to stay innovating is great.

It can't replace a console... Console games are especially optimized and can play at higher resolutions and frame rates than this...bold and IMO, a false statement.

It seems like it would be better to come up with a home server that you put in the closet and then have small terminals around and/or use a smartphone/tablet to be a terminal. This way you have all the power of a full system with home portability.
great idea

I think it is missing a few features, definitely not a replacement for my PC. Not even a replacement for the PC I had 8 years ago.

My guess for the logic of the multiple docking stations is that they envision deploying the docks everywhere, especially public locations. That way users could "dock-in" with their own programs, apps and data regardless of the location (airports, schools, friends & families homes, restaurants, libraries, etc). It is a good idea but I think the future holds a different direction where end-users do not need to carry anything and can simply log into a virtual (VPN-like or cloud-based?) terminal from anywhere

...but I think the future holds a different direction where end-users do not need to carry anything and can simply log into a virtual (VPN-like or cloud-based?) terminal from anywhere

Like a Chromebook? =P

How do they fit the R9 295X inside that tiny box? Is it liek the tardis? Ok so ok as a HTPC, but it's useless for gaming, video and photo editing, cad. Mathematica. Basically a very low end PC in performance and yet they claim the only PC you'll need. Pull the other one it yodels.

How do they fit the R9 295X inside that tiny box? Is it liek the tardis? Ok so ok as a HTPC, but it's useless for gaming, video and photo editing, cad. Mathematica. Basically a very low end PC in performance and yet they claim the only PC you'll need. Pull the other one it yodels.

It is an APU, meaning the GPU is on the CPU die. I have worked with the A6 5200 on a Lenovo notebook and it really is not slow. With graphics it is a lot faster than my old Core i5 2.5GHz notebook. What a lot of you guys are missing, comparing it to tablets, is that this is x86. You can run full office, Photoshop, CAd etc on it. I have used 3D designing programs like Sweethome#d on it and it is much better than the old Core i5 with its igp. Yes it will be slower than many new cpu's, but I actually see a future for such a device.

You'll be able to play many kind of games like Minecraft. The main focus I would see this for, is for business use, basically taking your pc home. It does make sense. I do agree that they need to work on the price though. I am sure it is not that expensive to produce. Maybe $150-$200 will make more sense.

Is this thing still going? locked into one design seems like a backward, almost Apple-like, concept

All-in-one is in my opinion better than this cause you only have a monitor. This is small and portable, but still I don't see the reason why is this better than All-in-one.

Can you fit your all-one in your pocket?
Not a correct comparison.

I think it is missing a few features, definitely not a replacement for my PC. Not even a replacement for the PC I had 8 years ago.

Depending on what PC you had 8 years ago. Also, could you put your pc 8 years ago into your pocket? I somehow doubt that.

This is aimed to be portable, so far you can have a tablet with W8 for the same price, for a bit more you have a more powerful device than the "Tango", very portable, screen and battery included, and for just a couple bucks you can get a usb or bluetooth keyboard... so.

I don't seem to get the logic behind all the "docks", specially at the price point.

I am not sure where you buy, but I cannot find an x86 with more power than crappy Atoms anywhere for this price. I think you might be comparing Bay Trail CPU's. Please don't. This is a proper CPU that can deliver much more performance, especially with graphics.

A Galaxy Tab and Surface Pro 3 goes for $399 with an Arm cpu. None of them can run Sketchup, Sweethome 3D, full office or PC games, can they?

Yea that's kind of the point with the "Docs"

What's more interesting is this thing is probably easier to upgrade that those stupid all in ones. But I guess you wouldn't know about that considering you've never worked on one.

Back