Target CEO resigns following data breach debacle

Shawn Knight

Staff member

target ceo ceo target data breach

Target chairman and CEO Gregg Steinhafel has resigned following 35 years of service, the company’s Board of Directors announced on Monday. A search for his replacement is under way but in the meantime, chief financial officer John Mulligan will serve as president and chief executive officer while board member Roxanne S. Austin has been promoted to non-executive chairwoman.

Although not directly responsible, Steinhafel was at the helm when Target was hit with a massive security breach late last year. Reports have varied in the months since but as many as 70 million customers may have had their names, mailing addresses, phone numbers or e-mail addresses stolen. What’s more, an estimated 40 million credit and debit card accounts were compromised during the attack.

In a letter to the board, Steinhafel said the last several months have tested Target in unprecedented ways. He added that they’ve already begun taking a number of steps to further enhance data security by putting the right people, processes and systems in place.

Such steps haven’t been cheap, however. The company spent at least $61 million to deal with the breach during the fourth quarter alone while banks and credit unions have had to cough up more than $200 million. Furthermore, Target is fast-tracking a plan to transition to PIN-based credit / debit card technology with built-in microchip for all in-house offerings.

It’s the same sort of technology that’s already been deployed around the world to combat high levels of fraud. In fact, the US is the last major market that requires credit card owners to sign their name to authorize a face-to-face transaction. Both MasterCard and Visa plan to move to the more secure system starting next year.

Permalink to story.

Wow! That is insane. Its sad he resigned, but I understand why he did. He might have not been the reason for it, but he probably felt guilty that it happened on his turf. That is why they need more white hat hackers to find these possible vulnerabilities to fight off the forces of evil! (Aka Black hat hackers and grey hat hackers!)

It looks like these hackers really scored a bulls-eye targeting Target. Puns notwithstanding, the CEO probably made more than enough money to last him a lifetime so it's about time he put his feet up in the Bahamas and forgot about this whole sordid affair.

It's all lip service. From the canned comment responses (is there anything else I can do for you?) to the yep we are secure. He should go and I am happy to see him gone. Whoever takes over can't guarantee security either

I'm sure this resignation has less to do with the attack and more to do with a weak focus on Information Security within Target. Hopefully, this will send a strong message to the business community to build stronger IS programmes.

Back