Task manager closes right after I open it!? (and some AIM problems too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uber_roxxorz

My windows task manager closes right when I open it. I'd post a HighJackThis log but I just want to know first if that will help any. Also, I tried posting my log earlier, but it says I have URL's that aren't allowed to be posted. What's up with that? Anyways, the task manager is the most important thing in this post, so if you could give me some help/ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. I did do a McAfee virus scan and a spyware scan, that got rid of some stuff, but my task manager is still "malfunctioning". Also (perhaps unrelated) when I'm signed on AIM, sometimes an away msg will come up on there that isn't mine, and it has a link to a site, and I don't know how to fix that either. Anyways, any help at all would be appreciated.

First things first,
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
Secondly you aren't allowed to post URL's unless you have more than 3 posts, this is to keep spammers from posting URL's right after they sign up. I know it's a pain for real users, but it needs to be done.
Lastly, I would say that you have some sort of virus/trojan that is taking over your system. Posting your HJT log would definately be helpful.

Ok, I'm running a virus scan now, and I found some trojans. If I have any other problems, I'll post my HJT log up here, thanks.

Hjt

I just ran highjackthis, and it came up with this error:

An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modMain_FixUNIXHostsFile()
Error #28 - Application-defined or object-defined error

Windows version: Windows NT 5.01.2600
MSIE version: 6.0.2900.2180
HijackThis version: 1.98.2

It didn't finish scanning either. This has never happened before, should I just try and reinstall HJT?

My computer has been doing the SAME thing. I got a virus/trojan thing from AIM, i got rid of it, or at least its not messing up AIM any longer. Now its been messing with my regedit,msconfig, and task manager. they wont open..

UNCPSnookie said:
My computer has been doing the SAME thing. I got a virus/trojan thing from AIM, i got rid of it, or at least its not messing up AIM any longer. Now its been messing with my regedit,msconfig, and task manager. they wont open..
I would suggest following Realblackstuff's suggestion in the following thread and that will solve your problem. Make sure you follow it completely.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17297.html

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

ive seeeeeeeen this some where... my friend had the same thing. its one of the dreaded my.doom.insertvariationhere virus @.@ thus many variations going into even double letters. the other one is my.tob or zotob. i think. those go to the variations of hell.... try norton's site and dl a fix to put on a cd.

Last i checked, Kaspersky was keeping tabs on those, and it cleaned them up alright on my friends computer.
Along with testing things such as, loading the task manager from a Right-Click on the START MENU bar and using alternative Task Managers to locate any processes that might be disruptive.
I recommend finding a fix if you can, and not letting AIM unleash more viruses on your computer.
Seriously.. not too secure, and the whole messenger client thing has been quite vulnerable.. similiar to the P2P system.

I deleted them manually on my friends computers... o_o i dont like the way the anti virus does it, it some times leaves a trace of it on there and it comes back again so i delete it from my computer manually :3

Kaorichan2002 said:
ive seeeeeeeen this some where... my friend had the same thing. its one of the dreaded my.doom.insertvariationhere virus @.@ thus many variations going into even double letters. the other one is my.tob or zotob. i think. those go to the variations of hell.... try norton's site and dl a fix to put on a cd.
2 years old buddy (last post before yours was from feb 05). I imagine the problem is long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back