TechSpot

Task Manager not an option anymore

By chrisbra
Jan 28, 2008
  1. Hello, When I hit Ctrl, Alt, & Delete, my task manager button is no longer an option. I ran Hijackthis and here are the results. I hope I did this correctly, as you can tell I am brand new to this.

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You may just have some protection software in conflict.
    I see Adaware 2007, Superant antispyware, McAfee full install, Symantec, and Windows Defender, together with a great deal of other software that make a lot of demands through the processes. Thus too many demands, potentially, on the task manager.
    I would re-evaluate you security settings and installs, and perhaps remove either the McAfee or Symantec install - because one usually has difficulties when both are fighting each other over the honor of defending you. I would also consider removing Superant as long as you have McAfee... then see what happens
    I would also run a simple registry edit such as RegCleaner to be sure you got everthing off of the one you removed.

I would also look at your installed memory, which you didn't mention, to see if you really have enough memory for all that software you have installed... and take a look at your processes to see how many programs are attempting to run.

3. chrisbra

chrisbra TS Rookie Topic Starter

Task Manager

is regcleaner a free software or something to purchase?

4. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,000

hi chrisbra. you do have some issues with your log. GO HERE and follow the instructions then post all logs produced including a fresh hjt log

5. chrisbra

Appreciate the help, Thanks TOMRCA.

6. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

The Reg Cleaner version by Juoni Viourno is available in free and paid versions. You can find the free version at www.majorgeeks.com under Registry... Its name, I believe, is Reg Cleaner.
    Juoni Viourno was employed for years by Microsoft, I believe, and was part of the development team for the now discontinued Tweak or TweakUI program.
    This is not a fancy registry editor, but is a simple non-risky way to edit the registry and have full control... anything you remove is placed into a backup folder section so you can replace it if things go rong.

7. chrisbra

Thank you so much

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.