Task Manager Problem - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help - when I push ctrl-alt-del or right click the task bar and select task manager I get one screen with my user name on it and none of the standard task manager screens also the little icon in the taskbar shows (the CPU usage icon) - I cannot close the screen or minimize it and although windows continues to run I have to either reboot or right click the CPU usage icon and select close to get rid of the screen. The usual ctrl-alt-del options like task manager and shut down, restart etc. no longer appear. I have tired searching the knowledge bases on ctrl-alt-del settings and struck out. This has me totally stumped. I am running XP home with SP2. I have attached a screen shot of the problem - thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Attachments

• tskmgrprob.JPG
    tskmgrprob.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 7
Bring back Task Manager

Had the same problem recently. Thanks to someone on this forum (can't recall who, sorry) who had posted a fix, I was able to set things right. It's as simple as this: bring up your task manager window. Double click on the window border. Voila! The complete task manager program is back, buttons and all. Hope this works for you.

Hey - that is awesome - worked 1st time. Thank you so much, I was ready to reinstall XP thinking there was some kind of major problem. I am not usually a Microsoft basher but this is ridiculous - I checked all the help menus and on-line knowledge bases etc and found nothing about "click on the window border"..... what purpose that serves is beyond me??!!. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to post. All the best, Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back