TechSpot

Task Manager Problem - help

By radicalrick
Jan 12, 2007
  1. Help - when I push ctrl-alt-del or right click the task bar and select task manager I get one screen with my user name on it and none of the standard task manager screens also the little icon in the taskbar shows (the CPU usage icon) - I cannot close the screen or minimize it and although windows continues to run I have to either reboot or right click the CPU usage icon and select close to get rid of the screen. The usual ctrl-alt-del options like task manager and shut down, restart etc. no longer appear. I have tired searching the knowledge bases on ctrl-alt-del settings and struck out. This has me totally stumped. I am running XP home with SP2. I have attached a screen shot of the problem - thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Attached Files:

2. dngtech

dngtech TS Rookie

Bring back Task Manager

Had the same problem recently. Thanks to someone on this forum (can't recall who, sorry) who had posted a fix, I was able to set things right. It's as simple as this: bring up your task manager window. Double click on the window border. Voila! The complete task manager program is back, buttons and all. Hope this works for you.

3. radicalrick

radicalrick TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey - that is awesome - worked 1st time. Thank you so much, I was ready to reinstall XP thinking there was some kind of major problem. I am not usually a Microsoft basher but this is ridiculous - I checked all the help menus and on-line knowledge bases etc and found nothing about "click on the window border"..... what purpose that serves is beyond me??!!. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to post. All the best, Rick.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.