Task manager problem -- please help

By Nirer
Feb 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, I'm new to this forum and I would request some help.
    The problem is I've recently formatted my computer, but with the wrong disc.
    I've seem to lost my Wesmosis disc (Windows XP disc) and I am stuck with this one for now, the problem is:
    I press anything to bring my "Task Manager" up and nothing happens!
    CTRL+ALT+DEL
    CTRL+ALT+DOT
    CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
    nothing!
    I even went to the system32 folder and pressed the "taskmgr.exe" and it said:
    The specific path does not exist or something like that...
    Anyways, I surly hope you would help a nice forum geek :)
    thx in advanced :)
    here is the hijackthis.log:

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,020   +83 Staff Member

Sounds like your PC might be infected with some form of malware. Try everything here and then post back.

Oh, just so you know the version of HJT you have installed is out of date ;).
  3. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +32

Why did you reformat the comouter?
    Why did you use the wrong disc?

Rainlendar2: It is a calendar that sits on your desktop, and has fully customisable reminders. It also has a handy to-do list in case you don't use a separate GTD software/website.

ESET Smart Security 3.0: So-so ability to recognize spyware. Failed to block or remove many spyware samples it detected. Very basic firewall. Too many valid e-mail messages identified as spam.

Folder Size for Windows adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer. The new column shows not only the size of files, but also the size of folders. It keeps track of which folders you view, and scans them in the background so you can see complete size of all files within the folder. It's very useful for cleaning up your disk. Once you get used to having that information available, a directory listing simply looks incomplete without it!
    http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/about.htm

StarWindserv: This service belongs to the Alcohol 120% DVD/CD emulation and burning software. This software adds network drive sharing via the iSCSI protocol.

nvsvc32.exe is a process that belongs to the NVIDIA graphics card drivers

igfxtray.exe is a process which allows you to access the Intel Graphics configuration and diagnostic application for the Intel 810 series graphics chipset. T

hkcmd.exe> The process hkcmd Module belongs to the software Intel(R) Common User Interface or hkcmd.exe by Intel Corporation (www.intel.com)

Daemon Tools: >Background application that is used to map an image file, such as .iso and so forth, to a virtual CD or DVD drive.

smagent.exe is an audio software suite usually installed alongside SoundMAX products, and offers audio rendering facilities.

msmsgs.exe is the main process relating to the MSN Messenger Internet chat tool installed by default on most Windows computers.

Orbit Downloader is a free closed source software graphical download manager for the Microsoft Windows operating system. One of the main features of the program is its ability to grab and download embedded Flash Video files from sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe etc. Orbit Downloader also accelerates downloads by acting as a peer-to-peer client, utilising bandwidth of other users.

copyfstq: a freeware program to help you resume copying of files under windows. part of Total Copy program

The items showing prefixed by #08 ew ezre items nin the right click context menu.

Items listed as BHO -#04, autoload frim the/Registrare borwser helper objects>post if not all be be stopped.
    itemsorefaced bith
    The E09 items is where you'll drrn hijscker

Number 18 items

ITEMs maekes as
    #$r2''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  4. Nirer

Nirer Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thx guys! Although, how do I fix the Task Manager problem??
    Also I've seen you have listed that the Nod32 Protective system isn't suitable for a perfect computer... Should I use the Ashampoo firewall instead??
  5. Matthew

You attempt this:

6. Nirer

tried everything! read every step at least 2 times and found nothing... please how can i fix this?
  7. Matthew

Impossible. I don't see a log of results posted from your scan with HJT v2.0.0.2.
  8. Nirer

I tried it afterwards... (after i posted this post)
  9. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +32

In addition to cleaning out the malware, I hope you will make use of the time I spent identifying the programs you have on Startup.
  10. Nirer

Ohh yeah, Thx Bobbye :)
    Sorry I forgot to thank you, but I'm still having trouble even though you helped me knowledge every program so thx :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.