TechSpot

task manager problem

By kop
May 16, 2004
  1. Today I encountered a problem that my task manger does not work.
    Can somebody give step by step how to solve my problem ant the task mangewr works again.
    I use my task mange when a programme does not respending , I do ctrl alt and delete together but it does not work.
    Can somebody helps me by giving me step by step.
    Thanks in advance.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

It sounds like you've got a virus that is disabling it. You need to run a virus scanner that is up to date and hopefully that will fix your problem. What happens is the coders don't want you to be able to delete the virus/trojan by killing it with task manager, so when you hit ctrl alt del it does nothing.

3. pikaso

pikaso TS Rookie

task manager does not work

hey i have the same problem etcept my windows help and support, and system restore do not work as well. if someone knows how to fix this pleas help.

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Open a new thread in the Security and the web forum, after following these instructions exactly.

Before posting your HijackThis log, please read this.

BTW. Don`t post in threads that are nearly 2 years old!!

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

5. niceboy

niceboy TS Rookie Posts: 54

hi try using taskmanager in safe mode. if it opens there, it confirms a virus/spyware existance. if taskmanager fails there too, u can try here a small prog which can identify and kill any progs.

6. blaque_knight

blaque_knight TS Rookie

when i first started having those exact symtoms and thought it may be a virus I did a search for all recent files and found Setup.exe in a folder C:\Program Files\Update06

For some reason i did not have permission do delete the file. I came across this page, found the hijackthis program and ran it ... hijack this came across the file C:\Program Files\Update06\Setup.exe

I immedeately deleted it using the "fix" option.

when i tried Ctrl+Alt+delete the message changed from the regular "This file is being used by another program" to "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator"

on this site http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Taskmanager_error.htm I found the fix which was to cut and paste the following in the cmd prompt

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

now I had task manager again.

The file Setup.exe was still in its folder C:\Program Files\Update06

I immedeately deleted it and emptied my recycle bin.

Mind you ...

I'm not good at this sort of thing but these are the exact sequence of events that resulted in a solution like five minutes ago.

I did update and run the following programs in this order: adaware, spybot and norton antivrus 2005 then restarted before i did whats stated above. I just thought that I should register and post this in case someone here could figure out what i did right.

Good luck man. I'm going to do a cold boot and see if the solution holds up.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.