task manager problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kop

Today I encountered a problem that my task manger does not work.
Can somebody give step by step how to solve my problem ant the task mangewr works again.
I use my task mange when a programme does not respending , I do ctrl alt and delete together but it does not work.
Can somebody helps me by giving me step by step.
Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you've got a virus that is disabling it. You need to run a virus scanner that is up to date and hopefully that will fix your problem. What happens is the coders don't want you to be able to delete the virus/trojan by killing it with task manager, so when you hit ctrl alt del it does nothing.

task manager does not work

hey i have the same problem etcept my windows help and support, and system restore do not work as well. if someone knows how to fix this pleas help.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

pikaso said:
hey i have the same problem etcept my windows help and support, and system restore do not work as well. if someone knows how to fix this pleas help.

Open a new thread in the Security and the web forum, after following these instructions exactly.

Before posting your HijackThis log, please read this.

BTW. Don`t post in threads that are nearly 2 years old!!

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

hi try using taskmanager in safe mode. if it opens there, it confirms a virus/spyware existance. if taskmanager fails there too, u can try here a small prog which can identify and kill any progs.

when i first started having those exact symtoms and thought it may be a virus I did a search for all recent files and found Setup.exe in a folder C:\Program Files\Update06

For some reason i did not have permission do delete the file. I came across this page, found the hijackthis program and ran it ... hijack this came across the file C:\Program Files\Update06\Setup.exe

I immedeately deleted it using the "fix" option.

when i tried Ctrl+Alt+delete the message changed from the regular "This file is being used by another program" to "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator"

on this site http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Taskmanager_error.htm I found the fix which was to cut and paste the following in the cmd prompt

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

now I had task manager again.

The file Setup.exe was still in its folder C:\Program Files\Update06

I immedeately deleted it and emptied my recycle bin.

Mind you ...

I'm not good at this sort of thing but these are the exact sequence of events that resulted in a solution like five minutes ago.

I did update and run the following programs in this order: adaware, spybot and norton antivrus 2005 then restarted before i did whats stated above. I just thought that I should register and post this in case someone here could figure out what i did right.

Good luck man. I'm going to do a cold boot and see if the solution holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back