Task Mgr Issues, think Malware is Responsible; HJT Log included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:

I'm new to this forum, so I will try and be as descriptive as possible. For some time now, I have noticed that I cannot access my task manager in any way. CTRL+ALT+DEL does not work, and neither does right-clicking on the bottom bar in XP or c:/windows/taskman.exe.

I began researching the problem last night and found a very helpful guide (https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-27923-Cannot-open-Task-Manager.html) . However, after walking through the detailed steps, I still have the problem, (original content was posted 7/2005). Additionally, I attempted to walk through these suggestions, but to no avail. (ahttps://www.techspot.com/vb/topic47776.html)

After running HJT, I removed the items that were explicitly called out, but I'm concerned there may be additional, newer ones I should remove. The log is attached.

Additionally, (and I don't know if this is related or not), but I have been receiving an error message immediately when I login every morning. The error message reads, "Application failed to initialize: x800106ba. A problem caused Windows Defender Service to stop...." Research results on this were very limited.

Any assistance / guideance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Rename HijackThis.exe to Analyze.exe as per these instructions.

Run HJT and click the config button, followed by the backups button. Place a tick in the little box next to all entries and click the restore button/ok and close HJT. Reboot your system, run a new HJT scan and post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Noviceuser only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Your system has a nasty BHO(browser helper object), that`s been installed by malware.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Noviceuser only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back