Taskmgr does not work, HJT log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
I need some help pretty soon. ctrl-alt-del does not bring up the taskmgr. Running the taskmgr.exe from run gives me message that another program is currently using the file. Also when I boot the system I get an error saying system is low on memory even tho I have 512 bm ram and no processes/applications running. I went thru previous threads on taskmgr problem and followed all the steps religiously. I am attaching the HJT log file. Even after doing all the things mentioned in previous post, the problem still persists. Kindly help guys, I need some help pretty soon, else I will have to format the machine which I dont want to do.
Thanks you all,
Cya.

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    4 KB · Views: 11
Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF, see how here.
In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.
Next, open Windows Task Manager.

On Windows 95/98/ME, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE.
On Windows NT/2000/XP, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
Click the Processes tab, select the process (if there), click End Process for:
winupdates.exe

Next, run a HJT scan and (if still there) place a tick-mark in the little square before:
...................................................................................................
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winupdates] C:\Program Files\winupdates\winupdates.exe /auto
...................................................................................................
Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT.

When done, from between the above dotted lines, delete the highlighted bold files.
When a \directory-name\ is bold, delete everything in it, including that directory itself.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Delete all files and directories from: C:\WINDOWS\Temp (except files dated from TODAY).
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back