TD Bank "misplaced" the unencrypted data of 267,000 customers

By Matthew
Oct 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Toronto-Dominion (TD) Bank is notifying customers about a mishap that may have exposed the personal details of more than a quarter million people. In letters sent to folks along the East Coast of the US, the company writes that it...

Read more
  2. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 456   +54

Is "misplaced" like an "unrequested fission surplus"?
  3. dikbozo

dikbozo TS Enthusiast Posts: 82

I am sure glad I have never had an account at this +100 year old bank.
  4. The title scared me, I actually live in Toronto and my bank is TD. However "misplacing" foreign (USA) personal information is fine by me. ;p
  5. lchu12

lchu12 TS Booster Posts: 195   +9

@Guest: I wouldn't be so sure, if it could happen to there in the US. It can sure as hell happen here in Toronto...
  6. This really goes to show you how incompetent big corporations are with your personal data. I guarantee you your whole personal financial data is floating around on someone's laptop or a simple thumb drive somewhere right now without any security measures implemented. The reason being is that average joe employee or that non-tech savvy CEO has complete access to your personal data from the company's server but has no clue how to protect your information. I've worked in lots of companies and in every one of them I could easily download people's personal data and credit card information and noone would either know or care. Pretty scary if you ask me.
  7. I find this kind of thing more forgivable than shoddy password security encyption. Who hasn't lost track of something important at somepoint. That said...these things would wash better with the public if they didn't wait 5 months to alert people. They should make annoucements like "Hello customer, last week we may have had a breach in our security, heres your coupon for free Identity Theft Protection while we investigate." When they wait it tells the customer "we just spent 5 months trying to prove we didn't screw up, sorry about the damage to your credit rating. TD Bank cares, just not about you."
  8. To be fair, how many people knew of the security vulnerability when it happened? Now how many know it now?

If they publicly announced it, scammers, frauders, and thieves would have heard about it, and that presents an even greater security threat.