Tech companies face criminal charges if they notify users of UK government spying

midian182

Staff member

Last week, it was reported that Yahoo had become the latest company that promised to alert users who it suspected were being spied on by state-sponsored actors. Twitter, Facebook and Google had previously assured their users that they would also warn them of any potential government spying. The UK, it seems, isn’t happy about this, and is pushing through a bill that will see the bosses of any company that warns its members that British agencies are monitoring them face up to two years in prison.

Specifically, UK ministers want to make it a criminal offence for tech firms to warn users of requests for access to their communication data made by security organizations such as MI5, MI6 and GCHQ (the Government Communications Headquarters).

A June report by David Anderson QC, the independent reviewer of terrorism legislation, revealed that Twitter’s policy requires it to notify its users of requests to access their data “unless persuaded not to do so, typically by a court order.” But a note to the bill would make this illegal.

The note says it “will ensure that a communication service provider does not notify the subject of an investigation that a request has been made for their data unless expressly permitted to do so.”

The controversial Investigatory Powers Bill, nicknamed the snooper’s charter, was unveiled by home secretary Theresa May in November. Part of the proposed legislation would require tech firms to store users’ data for up to twelve months, including a record of every internet site visited, and allow government agencies unfettered access to the data. While the bill is being put forward as a deterrent against terrorism, online monitoring at this level has been banned in the US, Canada, and every other European nation.

The bill could also allow the UK government to demand that companies weaken the encryption on messaging services such as WhatsApp and iMessage to enable agencies to evesdrop on conversations, a proposal that Apple is strongly against. “We believe it would be wrong to weaken security for hundreds of millions of law-abiding customers so that it will also be weaker for the very few who pose a threat,” Apple said. “In this rapidly evolving cyber-threat environment, companies should remain free to implement strong encryption to protect customers.”

Permalink to story.

Tech companies must stick to their guns. You can't throw every tech company head into the slammer for crimes they're didn't commit.
These are just scare & bully tactics by UK government and probably won't come to pass.

Last edited:
Who seriously votes for this crap in the UK?
It's not just UK. We have the same type of BS here in the US.

Exactly.
It's the government trying to push through more privacy infringing policies off the back of recent terrorist related events.

Yes US has had its recent issues with snowden and the NSA and stuff similar.

I live in Canada btw.

The article says this is UK only.

"While the bill is being put forward as a deterrent against terrorism, online monitoring at this level has been banned in the US, Canada, and every other European nation."

This reminds me of the scene in the TV miniseries "Merli" with Sam Niell as Merlin. He and everyone turn their back on Maab, proving that she really didn't have any power. She faded away because she drew her power from using fear on everyone around her. So if the people of the UK would just tell the government their to stick it and turn their backs, there is nothing they could do. Unless they want to start a civil war of course. I wish their was more "civil disobedience" in the world, including here in the U.S. When are people going to step up and say enough is enough????

This reminds me of the scene in the TV miniseries "Merli" with Sam Niell as Merlin. He and everyone turn their back on Maab, proving that she really didn't have any power. She faded away because she drew her power from using fear on everyone around her. So if the people of the UK would just tell the government their to stick it and turn their backs, there is nothing they could do. Unless they want to start a civil war of course. I wish their was more "civil disobedience" in the world, including here in the U.S. When are people going to step up and say enough is enough????

They never will.

1st problem is the average person is technically illiterate.
2nd problem there is more of them than us technically minded people.
3rd problem most people would rather just follow than try to actually lead.
4th problem people are fricken lazy
5th problem most people care more about sports then what rights they have or are giving away.
6th Ignorance is bliss

If your not breaking the law you don't have anything to worry about.
So when can I tell the government to install the cameras in your house? You're cool with that right? I mean you have nothing to hide, right? It's in the name of safety.
We also need to arrange for all bank statements and medical appointments to be sent to their house on postcards. After all, it's not illegal to have a bank account or to visit a doctor.

Hitler said the same thing.... that is the most dangerous thing you can say. Please realize what you said is scary and never say it again.

Hitler also drank water. Does that mean I should stop drinking water so I do not become Hitler? Hitler was also a noted anti-smoker - he hated tobacco in all forms. Does that mean that everybody who doesn't smoke is just like Hitler? Silly arguments but I think they prove my point that comparing the OP to Hitler is an exercise fraught with peril.

I see no "danger" at all in what the OP said. Don't break the law and you've nothing to worry about.

I see no "danger" at all in what the OP said. Don't break the law and you've nothing to worry about.
If our forefathers had thought that way, there would have never been any civil wars fought, and we wouldn't have any freedom to enjoy today. The freedom we enjoy today, comes from people who didn't believe the words you just spoke. Persecution is rule by fear. It is fear because people are persecuted regardless whether they break any laws. You may currently live in comfort, but if you don't keep your eyes open to potential persecution, that is exactly where you are headed. Say "NO" before it gets bad.

If your not breaking the law you don't have anything to worry about.
Then run, run, quickly now, join your fellow nerds in the warmth and togetherness of, "the cloud". Maybe you can all stream "1984". Then you'll all know what it's like to bask in the warm glow and compassion of, "totalitarian governmental oversight". And may God have mercy on your souls....(y).

Methinks that soon you'd be chanting a different mantra. Something on the order of, "if you're not breaking the law you have nothing to fear. The trouble is, I can't think of anything which isn't illegal"...:confused:

During the new events that happen I think governments they take this decisions to protect their people and for their safety.

It really doesn't matter what the politicians know or who votes as they don't count for anything. Most of Us law is decided without the peoples knowledge anyway. May as well be parliament, they do as they want and the people are just sheep to do the work.

What if !!! The U.K. government passed laws that made everyone a law breaker ??
Would you still be happy to say " If you are not breaking the law you have nothing to worry about"
No other democratic country has this law !!

Back