Tech Tip: Quick Guide to Running Linux From a USB Drive

Erik

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/guides/809-run-linux-from-usb-drive/]https://www.techspot.com/guides/809-run-linux-from-usb-drive/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Thanks for this piece..I'd been curious about checking out some new distros after a long while. As is (still) typical with Linux, I hadn't come across a nice step-by-step guide to making a bootable USB distro. I'd never even *heard* about the LinuxLive option which seems very cool. Even after all these years the lack of simple, easy-to-find info on installing and using Linux is STILL its single biggest obstacle for mass adoption.

Thanks for this piece..I'd been curious about checking out some new distros after a long while. As is (still) typical with Linux, I hadn't come across a nice step-by-step guide to making a bootable USB distro. I'd never even *heard* about the LinuxLive option which seems very cool. Even after all these years the lack of simple, easy-to-find info on installing and using Linux is STILL its single biggest obstacle for mass adoption.
Ubuntu Linux can be run from a cd.

I use VMPlayer and run most of my virtual machines on it. I have a back-up PC that is Linux. I have an external hard drive that is jam packed with a bunch of things I use. I recently got a second one from school. Might put all my VMs on that one and primarily school work and miscellaneous things on the other lol.

I've been running Mint from an external drive for years now. Wonderful tech tool.

As someone who often has to fix other people's PC's, having a copy of GNU/Linux on USB stick is invaluable.

When Windows users see how easy and safe to use Linux is, they want me to install it for them ;)

Sounds like there might be a promising technique for rescuing or salvaging a hard drive. Do any of these distros provide tools which would be helpful with a NTFS drive?

I was going to try it out, but when tails(ISO) was downloading on my computer when it was about finished I got error downloading, thoughts?
Redownloading now

Back