TechSpot

Techspot extremely slow connection. Server-problem?

1. Lately my connection to Techspot is extremely slow.
    A server with IP 70.85.4.244 belonging to ThePlanet keeps mixing with 12.96.164.87 (Techspot itself) and the ever-present Spinbox.versiontracker.
    Together they manage to grind my connection to a halt! :dead:

Is there a server-problem? I used to fly through Techspot, now it takes nearly a minute to go to the next screen.
    I have no viruses/virii, trojans or other evil-doers on my PC and have a 512Kb broadband connection.
    Any other website works great.
    Solutions or help anyone?
  2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,528   +315

70.85.4.244 = new server
    12.96.164.87 = old server

Old server is currently redirecting to New server.
    New server is the only delivering files right now.

I'd suggest two things:
    1) In the command prompt type: ipconfig /flushdns
    2) Temporarily add to your hosts file (/windows/system32/drivers/etc/) a line:
    70.85.4.244 www.techspot.com

Let me know how that goes.
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 8,165

About an hour after I sent an email to Julio, it was working OK again. I posted a few threads on TS, but these either never got accepted, or they were deleted, how? I don't know. I edited my above post, and it went through, but shortly afterwards, the change was "undone". Again, don't know how or why.
    To be sure, I also changed my TS-password, in case some unmentionable "hacked" any of my posts.

Whatever, it is all working fine again.
  4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

realblackstuff; most probably your posts got posted on the old server, and now you are accessing the new server...
  5. RealBlackStuff

That may be so, but today 8 December 2004, I answered a couple of posts, started 2 new threads , and none of it is there! I even sent three private messages to Julio, LNCPapa and Didou, and none of these show up. Does someone have it in for me?
  6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,528   +315

Strange stuff... I haven't got anything from you. Have you tried already with "ipconfig /flushdns" in the command prompt?
  7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

*cough*

Did you push the "refresh" button in the browser too? :p
  8. RealBlackStuff

Julio, I have indeed.
    Nodsu, that was the first thing I did.
    I think Per Hanson may be on the right track.

I also had my Internet connection upgraded today from 512Kb to 1Mb, with completely new hardware from my ISP (I have encrypted wireless internet, with an antenna on the roof, line-of-sight to the ISP's transmitter about 4KM away). But I don't think that my getting a new, different fixed IP has anything to do with this more than strange behaviour.
    Were there a number of server-refreshes today, perhaps some rollbacks?
  9. Per Hansson

realblackstuff, check your PM, I found your posts on the old server...
  10. RealBlackStuff

Per, even though you are a guy, you are a darling for finding my "missing" posts.
  11. Per Hansson

Yes I know I like to wear my sisters....

Erm nevermind ;-)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.