TechSpot not covering GamerGate?

D

davislane1

I understand not covering the GamerGate scandal when it first broke; it was somewhat of a non-story then. But, seeing how it has since exploded and seen Intel, Mercedes-Benz, and now BMW pull ads from companies involved with the issue, I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't even been mentioned here. After all the articles on other political scandals in tech, I'm a bit surprised the biggest one of the year hasn't even warranted a mention.

Honestly, I've read about it, and I still can't get a good grasp of what's going on. A mix of cyberbullies, politics, video games, anti-feminism/feminism....

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I've read about it, and I still can't get a good grasp of what's going on. A mix of cyberbullies, politics, video games, anti-feminism/feminism....
What do you guys think?

Mmmm, core debate about ethics in the gaming industry that took about 10 seconds to devolve into hysteria, name calling, trolling, and an inflated sense of entitlement...
old_lady_purse_fight.gif

...so, basically a fine example of how people can become suddenly emotionally invested in a cause because their facebook friends tell them they should be taking a stand - at least until the next sensation pushes it into history (Garfi challenging an Octopus in predicting the NFL playoffs? Justin Bieber Ebola scare?)

If feminist game developers have their nude pictures hacked because of a security flaw in their Windows phones, I'm predicting an internet singularity should form, where even reason won't be able to escape its gravitational pull.

What do you guys think?

My take thus far has been that a few trolls got loose, the games media used that to characterize the Gamergate movement as the last stand of a fading nucleus of "violent and misogynist neckbeards," and the actual Gamergate people used the media's response to demonstrate their original concern...creating an ever-growing feedback loop.

The original issue was ethics and integrity in game journalism, sprung into the spotlight by the "Quinnspiracy." Basically: Is the game media being unbiased in their coverage of the industry or are they using their position to push their own agendas? By and large, the media has either (a) latched on to the trolls as a grounds for dismissing the concern, or (b) alluded to its legitimacy.

That the original Gamergaters were able to stir up such a hornets nest, and given the media's numerous declarations that "Gamergate is over" (only to have it grow in presence), I think that this is either the most successful Internet trolling of all time, or something really is amiss in the eyes of a significant portion of the gaming market.

The problem is, you have to sift through a metric ton of BS to uncover anything beyond hysterics.

Back