TechSpot redesigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
This post is coming a few hours late as you have all been browsing around and the design has already been commented in the forums, etc. It really took several days to have the site looking the way it is now, while I had the design itself finished a couple of months ago, the real work was putting it up using the same old structure of the old pages, which lead to many errors, most of which have been corrected by now.

Overall feedback on the redesign has been positive, not overwhelming but I'm pretty satisfied. Some of the things that were broken earlier today were fixed during the afternoon (such as the news headlines running on the whole site), thanks a lot to Andres Robalino, a good friend of mine and young programming guru who has helped the site in the past and hopefully will continue doing so in the future.

I will probably be kept busy the rest of the week fixing browser compatibility errors and adding new features, perhaps most of you won't notice but we are working here even for the most demanding people :).

We have also broken records with the new forum integration and the comments. On a given instance during the day there were up to 128 active people browsing through the forums, nice indeed.

Also, news comments have been getting many more hits, I want to thank all people who have been supporting us and encourage to continue doing so... participate using the comments and help us to build a better site.

The new site does look good, but the text in the sidebars (particularely the hyperlinks in the left sidebar) are almost unreadable due to the color scheme. Dark blue text on a very dark gray background = eye problems. :) This is the case at least with my browser, Mozilla 1.1. I don't have anything else to test it with.

I recently found out that the way this site looks in Mozilla is not the way it SHOULD look. Hopefully the bug will be ironed out in either Mozilla or this site, so don't fret. :)

"Dark blue text on a very dark gray background"

That's not the way the site is supposed to look like. I'm going to post the same info later on the frontpage, but I recommend you to clear your cache and history content. Our CSS file has changed and maybe that's why some of you are having this kind of problem (that white background on the left menu bar uses CSS).

I will still try a couple HTML tricks to prevent that from happening.

Here I've tested the site using Internet Explorer 6 and Mozilla 1.1 and in both it looks almost perfect.

It looks good on all the browsers I've tried.. Mozilla 1, IE6, Netscape 4.5, 4.8 and 6.x..

I cruised through your HTML and CSS and it looks decent. For the life of me though, I can't figure out how you got that white/grey gradient fill behind the menus. The image that is supposed to be behind there is only 3 colors. Was this done using CSS? I didn't see it in the CSS file.

I'm thinking this problem might have something to do with a bug in Mozilla.

The gradient background is an image called using CSS. I have now put up a background color (white) to the cell itself so even if the background doesn't open properly you won't end up with an unreadable menu.

Working for you guys? (Don't forget to clear your cache)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back