TechSpot's Friday Night Fragfest

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff
We've held numerous gaming events over the past six months, some of which were promoted publicly (and in turn larger), but many smaller gatherings have also been organized behind the scenes through TechSpot's Steam group. No matter the turnout, we always a blast playing with you and we'd like to do so on a more consistent basis -- so that's just what we're going to do!

Starting this Friday, we'll host a weekly gaming event open to all TechSpot members. 'Friday Night Fragfest' will start every Friday at midnight eastern, 9PM pacific. Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2 will be played at first, but other popular games (such as StarCraft 2) will be added to the mix if there's enough interest. Leave your feedback on that below.

Until we include more games, we'll kick most nights off with Team Fortress 2 (server: 174.34.135.83:27015) and switch to Left 4 Dead 2 as the player count dies down. To play with us, join the TechSpot Steam group and post your Steam name in this thread so we know who everyone is. Feel free to message me with any questions on the forum or through Steam (Matthew).

Sounds awesome looking forward on playing some TF2, I have a feeling L4D2 prices will fall :p

Yeah, for me, it will be midnight! man I will be tired! I can't do this friday because its my Girlfriends Sisters Birthday and we're all going out for the night, the weekend after I can definately make though :) If it is possible at all to make it a bit earlyer would be nice but I'm happy to stay awake for it, already do playing with my friends till 2 in the morning ;)

L4D2 is too awesome on Realistic Advanced we cannot stop playing!

Midnight is actually just about perfect for me - an hour earlier would be spot on, but midnight is close enough. I'll be there pretty regularly if we get this going.

I's say the following games are not only awesome and require team work and comunication, but are also fairly cheap to pickup off steam and shops etc...

- BattleField Bad Company 2

- Team Fortress 2

- Left 4 Dead 2

- Unreal Tournament 3

- Counter Strike: Source

- Quake Live (Free!!!)

and theres probably a few I've missed I can't think of right now, but the list above is a fairly good list of cheap(ish) games that are also awesome!

Agreed that midnight eastern is a touch late, but I've found that running it sooner alienates people on the west coast. 6-7PMish often too early. Meanwhile, holding it later for Europeans would exclude many folks in the US (including myself). On the bright side, with the current schedule, Aussies should be able to play with little trouble haha.

The time can be adjusted on occasion to give more people the opportunity to participate, and it certainly isn't set in stone. I've just made the best guesstimate based on my previous experience. If you're interested in gaming with us but can't make the standard time, post with an alternative that works for you and we'll try to accommodate it.

Anyhow, see you all Friday and keep the feedback rolling in :)!

I enjoy playing Need For Speed World as well as Age of Empires. I know these are not one of those popular games, but I still find them fun. I can play starting from the 3rd of december, as soon as I finish my exams!

Also I think a more popular game that's rising fast is Minecraft. If anyone would be interested in a Techspot Minecraft server let me know, I can host one.

I'm definitely up for it especially TF2 :grinthumb . Wouldn't mind some BF:BC2 either if it's added over time.

Steam = Relic

I'll also toss in a vote for Civilization V. I'd probably get my rear-end handed to me on a platter, but would be a lot of fun to try the multiplayer version of that out.

I purchased TF2 about two years ago and have never played it. Need to download that and give it a shot so I can jump in on the party.

I live in ontario and have no idea what my timezone is :p. Nonetheless I'll try to be there.

Steam: Furry Atom

Or it could be a really long gaming session that starts Friday Night wherever you may be and extends on till it's not late night Friday anywhere anymore.

I'll also toss in a vote for Civilization V. I'd probably get my rear-end handed to me on a platter, but would be a lot of fun to try the multiplayer version of that out.

I purchased TF2 about two years ago and have never played it. Need to download that and give it a shot so I can jump in on the party.

You seriously need to play it, you're missing out sir

battlecanary and BurgerTrain will be there with bells on.

For games, TF2 and L4D2 are the easiest choices to begin with since they're quick to set up and run on Steam, allowing for use of the TS Steam group. Also, the fast pace of both give a bit more flexibility in dealing with laggy players or disconnects and aren't as much of a potential time sink as something like Civ V might be (8 hour multiplayer anyone?)

See you all there!

I still think Minecraft would be a cool idea too, for those that don't have it it's only $10 and highly addictive. That and anyone can run a server, with 10 or more people it would be fun to try and build a huge building or something cool like that.

battlecanary and BurgerTrain will be there with bells on.

For games, TF2 and L4D2 are the easiest choices to begin with since they're quick to set up and run on Steam, allowing for use of the TS Steam group. Also, the fast pace of both give a bit more flexibility in dealing with laggy players or disconnects and aren't as much of a potential time sink as something like Civ V might be (8 hour multiplayer anyone?)

See you all there!

yep count me in. i have a TF2 server we can play on too as well.

Hey, I should be good to play and might have a friend on board as well. I'll update if anything changes later in the week :)

I better purchase them then, and get learning... I'd probably be killed every 10 secs though! :haha:

I would seriously recommend TF2 to everyone, it is awesome when you have a decent amount of players!

Plus there are soo many mod servers etc... even Zombie mods it just doesn't ever get boring!

theres even baloon boat racing!

Back