Tecra 8100 laptop monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aMp3d

hello all...
my dad recently picked up a toshiba tecra 8100 laptop from a work auction and gave it to me to fix up and muck around with. Ive managed to get it running WinXP and it is going quite nicely, but i have 1 problem. sometimes when working, or if i leave the laptop for a while (10min-15mins), the screen appears to 'turn off'. i thought about it and had a closer look and realised that the screen was not actually 'off', but the back light or something had turned off. so the desktop was still visible on the screen, but it was extremely dark. is there anyone out there that is able to help me overcome this problem? when i connect an external crt to the laptop, it works well and doesnt turn off. The system is a Intel Celeron Processor 498mhz and it is running on 128mbs of ram. It has a S3 Graphics Inc. SavageMX with 8mbs of memory.
Any help will be much appreciated! :)
"aMp3d"2oo5"
"bass"revolution"

Hi, I have similar problems (and it's getting worse). I beleive it may be to do with the backlight driverboard overheating. This might also be due to the main CPU fan sticking (Yes I know, but I havn't heard it cut in for a while) This all became much worse when I used it with a network docking station, on which I could not get the network port to stay up. (kept disconnecting) This is on 2000. An identical machine (bought at the same time from the same reseller) with '98 works perfectly wit the Network, but has (since day 1) had a similar fault, only not as bad.

A 'work around' fix is to hit Fn+F5 a few times to switch the video output between internal & external a couple of times to 'kick start' the backlight. Another is an external monitor.

Anyone out there had experience of the same, and if so, what did you do to fix it? If this carries on I'm going to be forced to ditch the machine and get a new one, even though I don't want to yet.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back