Teen builds huge Skyrim expansion in hopes of landing job at Bethesda

By Shawn Knight
Jul 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you’ve ever played Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for more than a few hours, you’re well aware of just how expansive the in-game world is. There’s no shortage of things to see and do but in the event that you’ve...

Read more
  2. Good for him! I hope he gets the job.
    avoidz, JC713, danhodge and 3 others like this.
  3. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 257   +74

If they don't give him a job as at least a Jr. level designer they are crazy.
    avoidz, ghasmanjr, JC713 and 11 others like this.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Addict Posts: 770   +154

Now that is dedication if I was a ceo or a game dev at a company I would definitely give him a apprenticeship or scholarship.
    tehbanz likes this.
  5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,364   +260

They are mad not to hire him, that is extremely impressive stuff! I honestly hope he gets the job, writing a CV and going for an interview is definitely not as impressive and creating 25 odd hours onto a game that took the studio years to make!
  6. I see some ppl gong to be fired in Bethesda
    especially among the designers :D
  7. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,062   +69

With a skill set like that, I am sure he'll get the job and very good starting pay! I look forward to playing the expansion when it finishes downloading :D
  8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,199   +228

Yep - grabbing it now before it becomes paid DLC ;)
    tehbanz and St1ckM4n like this.
  9. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 876   +80

Kids these days are really pushing it, developers, designers and all around other professions pushing the bar on what it takes to be the "best" - So many 16 year olds who are doing free work for community projects (private servers, gaming communities and so forth). Amazing. +1
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  10. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 362   +55

Unfortunately for the console owners, we have to pay and can't download the mod. :(
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,074   +1,182

I was thinking about it, even though I don't actually have the game yet. But when the link said "Please login to download", I swatted my hand at the screen and said forget it. I have enough sites I login to, and try to keep the numbers minimized. If anyone knows where I can get this Mod without logging in, I'd be more than happy if you shared the link.
    psycros likes this.
  12. Twixtea

Twixtea Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

That actually pretty amazing stuff for someone who's 19 and lives with his parents.
    But this: "His father supported the effort, allowing him to live rent free at home and helping out with living expenses."
    Who pays his father for living at home? Where's this guy from actually? Because it seems like an odd thing to not pay the parents for rent where he lives as indicated in the article.
  13. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 564   +30

Nice! I hope he's open to accepting offers from other game developers.

14. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,259   +216

I don't think it's meant to sound like it is weird, so much as it is intended to show that his parents were very supportive of his decision to do this instead of a summer job or continuing education right away... A bit of a play on the "OK, you are 18, now go out and get a job and start being an adult" mentality. I was out of the house and working full time less than 2 weeks after I graduated high school...
  15. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,364   +260

Where the hell do you live where you don't have to pay to live? Since I was 18 I've paid some kind of rent, whether I lived at home or not is irrelevant, I also live in the UK and no, I'm not the "odd-one-out" either, pretty much everyone I know has had to pay some kind of rent to their parents / Land Lord every month. From my perspective, its pretty weird you don't have to pay rent :/ Wish I didn't though!
  16. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,199   +228

Clifford - if you don't have a nexus account yet and you're thinking about getting Skyrim then you might as well do it. You'll need it for Nexus Mod Manager - which is great for modding many different games and keeping track of it all. You should at least take a peak at this

This video is 1 ½ years old but it's still very informative and NMM has evolved quite a bit since this video so it's only better. Here are the games that this app can help you mod - http://www.nexusmods.com/
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  17. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,889   +609

He's a hero to parents' basement live-ins everywhere. We'll no longer be able to think they're being unproductive. :)
  18. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TechSpot Addict Posts: 413   +111

Clifford mate, you are truly missing out if you don't create a Nexus account. It's one of the easiest signups I've ever done, and once you are logged in, you can download as many mods as you want (at very good speeds, considering I'm in Australia).
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  19. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Booster Posts: 656   +35

Simply amazing I hope he gets the job, he deserves it. Best resume.
  20. tehbanz

tehbanz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 182   +9

You should SEE some of the young kids in my local hackerspace, it makes me feel stupid! Although, we all learn from eachother - that's the point.
  21. RenGood08

RenGood08 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 144   +9

Wow. That is really impressive. Almost makes me want to play! Lol.
  22. gingerbill

gingerbill TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 154   +8

errrr... I assumed everyone in the world out of education would pay rent to there parents past 16-18 . Least every person I have ever known does/did.

Hope the guy gets a job with them. I've often been surprised some mod makers haven't been offered jobs (especially twallan for the sims ) .
  23. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,114   +732

Wow this is impressive. Very impressive.
  24. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 563   +96

Reminds me of Game Director Todd Howard, although he didn't get a job at Bethesda until he was a college graduate.

Kudos to this kid. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.