Telescopic 1.77mm-thin contact lenses provide 2.8x optical zoom

By Jesse
Jul 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. An international research team led by Joseph Ford of UCSD and Eric Tremblay of EPFL created a new contact lens that provides the wearer with 2.8x optical zoom. However, the real differentiator for this bionic device is its 1.17mm profile...

Read more
  2. The future is here! a few years.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Cool story, but I don't think either would make for a very comfortable lens. I wore gas-permeable lenses for years and they are not comfortable, and the ones I had were easily less than a mm thick. Soft lenses are far more comfortable.

Still... if my vision were deteriorating I don't think I'd be complaining about comfort. This is a very cool piece of technology. I would imagine it would make driving difficult though because everything would always be magnified. I'm not sure that'd be very helpful in every circumstance.

(FYI you've got 1.17mm in the text and diagram and 1.77 mm in the text and title.)
  4. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 359   +41

Fixed. Thanks Mike.
  5. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Crazy science! So how does that work? Can you narrow your eyelids to hide the magnification and see normally, then open your eyes wide for a magnified view?
  6. Does they make the same sound as the six million dollar mans did when it zooms in? I'll have a pair if they do!!

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 905   +240

Awesome... very interested to see what our future holds.
  8. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Now we are talking!!!
  9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I believe it's always zoomed. Like putting a magnifying glass in your eye. The trick is in how thin the lens is.
  10. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 359   +41

You either take your glasses off, or turn your glasses off, to stop magnification.
  11. SexyMan

SexyMan TS Rookie Posts: 16

12. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

I wouldn't use them while driving but they could come in handy for reading the fine print in one of Apple's contracts but you may want to take them out while reading their price list.
  14. Ah Red Dwarf, if only more ppl liked that show and understood its humor. Btw that clip in reference to this made me laugh pretty hard.
  15. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Six Million Dollar Man had eye implant also his one eye could do night and infra-red vision. The Bionic Son hey had could use his eye as a laser weapon.