TELUS 2WIRE modem w/ Linksys BEFSR81

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Guy

I tried setting the DMZPlus mode on the TELUS 2Wire modem to open all ports & whatnot for my Linksys BEFSR81 Router. I don't want their protection. But when I do so, my Internet connection fails to work. I seem to get the Public IP just fine or so it appears from the Router's configuration page but again, it just will not work. Support please?

Your 2Wire modem sounds like it is also a router. You should not have two routers on your network.

You need to disable the router features of your 2wire modem. There may be an option to make it just a simple 'bridge' or other options to disable routing. This is what you should do.

Alternatively, you may disable the routing features of your Linksys and use the 2Wire as a router. It's totally up to you.

mikescorpio81: What I was trying to achieve was a simple modem to router setup. But so far this modem's been horrible. I've complained to TELUS and they said they're sending me the "Thompson" Modem which is usually for their "Lite" speed users but should be compatible with the Enhanced speed. I just hope that works.

TELUS also said I'm not allowed to go into the router's configuration & change anything. Which honestly just annoyed every vein in my body.

But yeah, I must use my Linksys Router, BEFSR81 is an 8-port router, the TELUS 2WIRE Modem-Router is only 4 port. I have 6-cable computers in the house & 1 Wi-Fi.

FYI, the 2Wire Modem-Router also has un-secured Wi-Fi on it -_-"
And they say I'm not allowed to change any of the configurations? Goddamn, someone can easily access my network or leech a connection from me >_>

But anyway, thanks for the replies guys.

Here's your primary issue:
TELUS provides one IP address. You need a router with
NAT to translate internal addresses onto the TELUS address, but this creates
two serially connected routers. This works, if and only if, the ip addresses can
be supported with the same subnet mask.
The TELUS address is 192.168.A.B and you can add other devices down stream by using

1. addresses 192.168.X.* (1>x<8) and X not equal to A,
2. setting the subnet mast to 255.255.252, and
3. enabling NAT in the second router.

This is what is required -- getting it all configured is the problem.

your wiring would be
Code:
TELUS(lan port) --->(wan)Linksys(lans)--->systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back