Temperature problem

Daniel Evans

Some days ago I got a new graphics card, installed it and I started running it. Temp of my GPU and CPU spiked a LOT and shut down after 5 minutes of playing quite an intense game on my PC.

Performance is fine, checked the dust in my case and it was huge so I cleaned out my heat sink and fan on my CPUs.

My idle temp is around 50 degrees and can reach to 75 at about 90% CPU usage. I think this is a problem. Could it be my thermal paste not in contact with my CPU? And how would I check this? It could well be this as I've only recently reinstalled the heat sink.

But it could also be that my case is quite bad and very small, and my GPU is huge and takes up more than half the space in my case. Also the GPU is supposed to get quite hot - and it's right under my processor.

The reason I think it may be my case is because it never reached these temperatures playing the same games BEFORE I installed my new graphics card, it overheated in 5 minutes after I installed my new graphics card. Pretty scary.

Are these temps normal?

What could be the problem?

Can anyone help?

CPU - i5 2320
GPU - GTX 770

Could it be my thermal paste not in contact with my CPU? And how would I check this? It could well be this as I've only recently reinstalled the heat sink.
Did you replace the thermal compound when you re-installed the CPU? If not then the thermal bond was broken and will not conduct heat the way it needs to.
But it could also be that my case is quite bad and very small, and my GPU is huge and takes up more than half the space in my case. Also the GPU is supposed to get quite hot - and it's right under my processor.

The reason I think it may be my case is because it never reached these temperatures playing the same games BEFORE I installed my new graphics card, it overheated in 5 minutes after I installed my new graphics card. Pretty scary.
That is quite possible. How much ventilation do you have with your case. Is there a fan near the CPU blowing air out of the case?

This is a picture of my case - http://I.imgur.com/x9VOKu4.jpg

Also, I felt the metal of the heatsink and it was not even warm... when my cores were running at 50 degrees. I think this could be a sign that thermal paste wasn't applied correctly? I put quite a thin layer on.

Did you replace the thermal compound when you re-installed the CPU? If not then the thermal bond was broken and will not conduct heat the way it needs to.
That is quite possible. How much ventilation do you have with your case. Is there a fan near the CPU blowing air out of the case?

Yes I did remove the old paste off both my HSF and the CPU and reapplied it.

There is an extractor on my PSU extracting air, see my last post that I put. Air temp inside the case seems to be a bit above room temp? I think this could be a sign my heat sink isn't working properly/thermal paste wasn't applied correctly. I did put quite a thin layer on so it could be that?

This may or may not help, I always place a BB size dot in the center and allow the heatsink to spread the compound. This avoids any possibility of creating insulated bubbles in heat transfer.

It came with a type of brush to spread it.... so that's what I did. May have to reinstall it? Except the pegs to install it are such a pain. It took me all afternoon to get in. I hate stock coolers. May get a new one except since my case is so small it can't be any top range ones... Maybe I need a new case and a new cooler?! Argh that would probably cost money I don't have...

Maybe I need a new case and a new cooler?! Argh that would probably cost money I don't have...
I know what you mean.

I've been capable of building my own machines for 20 years. However I haven't built a semi-high end machine until here recently. The one thing I have learned in my recent build, is there are no shortcuts to getting a high-end machine. All components need to work together. Faster CPU's and GPU's require more power and produce more heat, which makes using cheap cases and PSU's suicide.

Okay I''ve got the same temp problems as last time I definitely think it's due to my CPU not being in proper contact with the heat sink, I think some of the plastic peg fittings have snapped... so it's barely in contact with the CPU. It's very sturdy and still in place, fan is still extracting.

However I play a lot of games... my fan comes on the 9th Jan. Temperature can reach up to 80 degrees C while play... and sometimes I play up to 3/4 hours at a time. Shall I be safe until the 9th?! Or will I have to stay off the temptation of playing games on my PC?

Apparently I won't damage my CPU at all short term - because before I get to damage it it will shut my PC off. Is that true?

Intel i5 2320. Stock HSF.

Apparently I won't damage my CPU at all short term - because before I get to damage it it will shut my PC off. Is that true?
Every Component on your Pc is hard-wired to shut-down when it is in certain temperatures that might damage your Pc ,lets just make it clear 80C isn't a desired temperature even though I myself run on that temp I overclocked my i5-3570k to 3.8 on stock fans and am still running it on stock fans and in certain cases which is on battlefield 4 only currently I do get some shut-downs but it doesn't worry me much because 80C isn't that bad saying that im running on stock fans lets just say your not in a sweet spot but seriously you aren't in high danger any ways
if u wish to keep playing until the 9th u may go for it
to be honest many people are always blabbering that 80C is too hot Yes it is hot but it is not extreme some people say intel cpu hold up until 100C and if they even get any close to that they autoshutdown so don't worry

Last edited:
Okay I''ve got the same temp problems as last time I definitely think it's due to my CPU not being in proper contact with the heat sink, I think some of the plastic peg fittings have snapped... so it's barely in contact with the CPU. It's very sturdy and still in place, fan is still extracting.

However I play a lot of games... my fan comes on the 9th Jan. Temperature can reach up to 80 degrees C while play... and sometimes I play up to 3/4 hours at a time. Shall I be safe until the 9th?! Or will I have to stay off the temptation of playing games on my PC?

Intel i5 2320. Stock HSF.
Here's my two cents, just an opinion after viewing whats been stated and that picture you posted.

I agree with the above comments like @cliffordcooley said, a little bit goes along way on the CPU, I normally put a thin line down the center of the CPU, but thats just the way ive done it.

Since you are using the stock Intel cooler, those pegs wear out over time very fast if you remove/reapply the cpu cooler and can cause seperation. I would take it off, reapply the past, and try to gently snug it down a bit more and see if you feel a corner lift up or one that does not feel like its actually snapping into place correctly.

The other thing ill mention since you got a new GPU, is the type of cooler attached. I dont know what your previous Graphics card was, however it would seem that this is the EVGA GTX 770 ACX cooler which pulls air in and then pushes it down on the PCB. This cause the air to exhaust out the sides of the card into the case, which can cause hot air to be pulled in from the GPU onto the CPU causing the higher temps. Now I dont think its going to make the biggest difference most of the time, but because your using a stock fan which already allow the CPU to run a bit warm, that extra hot air might keep the chip a bit toasty. Try adding a rear exhaust fan if the problems persist after this to move the air from the GPU away.

Last thing, 80C is fine for the CPU, throttling will not occur on the Sandy Bridge Series i5 (I believe, im going with off the top of my head) until 95C or 100C in which case it would eventually shut off before any damage can occur.

Back