Tempermental Win 7 getting freeze and blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadetree

Hi guys,

I'm a couple of weeks into a new build and my first experience with Windows 7. I'm getting regular blue screens and also Windows locking up. I've attached a zip of my dumps, I don't know how to read them. I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and give them a look and see if you can point me in the right direction.

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz
4 MB G.SKILL RAM (2 x 2 GB) DDR3 1600
ASUS P7P55D motherboard
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ video card

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• rpl dump files.zip
    178 KB · Views: 3
Your issue is with memory corruption which means you should run the free and totally safe Memtest on your memory.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

* One other thing. Check the the voltage settings of your memory in the BIOS and see if it matches your RAM manufacture's specs. Too often we find that the memory itself isn't corrupted but that the motherboard has set the voltage wrong. This being an Asus board with their notoriuos reputation for being picky about RAM you should do this.

Great, thanks for the quick response and great direction. I recall now some of the motherboard reviews on NewEgg warning about the RAM voltage--I will check that first, then run Memtest.

I really appreciate the reply.

Memtest on G.SKILL ram in ASUS MB

Guys,

Here's what I did:
I got on G.SKILL's forum, and found a post where the G.SKILL big daddy said how to tweak the ASUS BIOS to automatically configure the memory settings and voltage. So I did that. Didn't help. So this morning I started memtest.
When I started it, the screen looked like Attachment 1.
I came back several seconds later and it looked like Attachment 2.
I think that's bad. . .
I didn't follow instructions and take out one stick before starting the test. So my next step is to remove a stick, test, swap sticks, and test again. Am I on the right track? Any comments?

Thanks a bunch!!

Attachments

• memtest1.jpg
    memtest1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 7
  • memtest2.jpg
    memtest2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 10
Yes, you did it correctly and yes most definitely you have corrupted memory. G.Skill makes great memory but even they will have bad RAM. Just make sure the voltage settings are correct as the G.Skill forums directed.

Now test each stick individually for a minimum of 7 Passes unless you staart getting errors sooner because then you'll know that stick is bad. If this memory came in a set you'll have to return it as a set even if one of your sticks is good.

Keep us updated.

What the heck?

I ran each stick individually, I could not coax an error out of it. I tried each stick in different slots.

So I put them both back in, and it made it through one pass OK. . .which it did not do the first time.

So I'm not sure what is going on now.

Should I burn through 7 tests with both sticks?

Is it possible I didn't seat one of the sticks correctly on the original install?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 6
I had the same exact thing happen to me earlier this year in a 4x512 configuration. Together I was erroring in the first or second pass.

But individually I didn't get any errors on any of them until the 7th or 8th Pass. Came to find out all four were corrupted.

So, run memtest per stick a minimum of 7 Passes and the more Passes after 7 the better -- unless errors show up be ore the 7th Pass and then you can quit that stick because you know it is bad.

* And, yes, make sure all sticks are seated properly.

*** One other thing, Asus boards are notoriously picky about the RAM installed on each and every model they make. So check the voltage settings.

MemTest Update: Single DIMM Rock Solid

Well,
Easy to get errors with both sticks in. Impossible with either stick in alone. 12 passes on one, 16 on the other. I'm open to suggestions :confused:

Attachments

• memtest 20100515_1257.jpg
    memtest 20100515_1257.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 4
  • memtest 20100515_1810.jpg
    memtest 20100515_1810.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 3
  • BIOS_20100515_1816.jpg
    BIOS_20100515_1816.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 5
Does the BIOS show differeing voltages for your RAM individually as opposed to when both sticks are installed?

I assume the memory configuration when both sticks are installed is per Asus' motherboard manual direcrtions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back