Terabit Infrared Could Trounce Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormBringer

Infrared links, could make a comeback and possibly replace Wi-Fi, thanks to a new low-cost optical "aerial," called a "concentrator," that is capable of ~50 times the performance of a standard lens and can deliver much higher data speeds.

By Clive Akass
September 15, 2003
"Infrared has none of the interference or regulatory problems of radio. "And there are still doubts about whether the use of radio is healthy" says Optical Antenna Solutions exec Alex Clarke. "There is some research showing that infrared can be good for you."

The Full story HERE

the fact that infrared does not penetrate walls, often seen as a snag, makes it more secure than radio. And IR can be directional, which means you simply point to what you want to talk to, avoiding complex addressing issues.

Next time read the article before responding.

Very interesting article, StormBringer. The security aspect will likely be a major plus when compared to WiFi. Still, you know there will be bumps to smooth over. (Diffussion rate, etc.) In the long haul, some healthy competition should make all parties strive to be their best.
That's usually a good thing.
Definitely worth keeping an eye on.:cool:

the fact that infrared does not penetrate walls, often seen as a snag, makes it more secure than radio. And IR can be directional, which means you simply point to what you want to talk to, avoiding complex addressing issues.

These are major down points, but they play them off as benefits. ;) This is fine for special-purpose networking needs, but with drawbacks like these, it will not be replacing Wi-Fi ever.

i wouldn't be so sure wifi won't be replaced. i have holes drilled in my ceiling and floors and have internet connections running through my entire house. who the hell needs wireless :) (cable wires are also slightly faster than wireless too)

and i have no offically, forgot if this was on topic :blush:

If you want security, and your equipment is in the same room, then use a cable (as already mentioned). I really can't see IR replacing WiFi. It doesn't have the convenience. If security is a concern, then use encryption with your WiFi network. Better encryption technologies for use with WiFi are the way forward, not IR. Infra Red can still pass through glass, so if your room has windows, then security is still a problem even for these systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back