Tesla delivered more than 50,000 vehicles in 2015

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla recently revealed that it sold 17,400 vehicles in the fourth quarter of 2015. Combined with the previous three quarters, the figure means that Tesla sold over 50,000 vehicles in a calendar year for the first time ever (50,580, to be exact).

Of those 17,400 vehicles sold last quarter, 17,192 were of the Model S sedan variety. That's approximately 48 percent more than the company's previous quarterly record of 11,603 and around 75 percent higher compared to the year-ago quarter.

While impressive, the figure was on the low side of Tesla's 17,000 to 19,000 quarterly forecast.

Tesla moved just 208 Model X SUVs, the company revealed in a press release on the matter. The electric automaker was quick to point out that 507 Model X vehicles were produced during the quarter and that the remainder will be delivered early this quarter.

The general consensus is that Tesla intentionally held back deliveries of the new Model X to better deal with any issues that may crop up. Global Equity Research analyst Trip Chowdhry said most of the early deliveries went to customers in California

Tesla unveiled its first SUV in early September. Like the Model S sedan before it, the Model X is no slouch in terms of pure performance. The all-electric SUV is able to scoot from 0-60 mph in a blistering 3.2 seconds with Ludicrous mode activated.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully this number will keep increasing.
Hopefully they learn how to make a good car.
It's not as good as the hype. Poorly thought out car. No physical controls for anything on the center console. Must look at a big (sometimes washed out screen) to do something as simple as turn up your A/C. Hope its not a hot day when you drive it, no way to cover up the full panoramic glass above you, you'll feel like you're head is in a toaster. It suffers from leaks, which is no surprise, because the way the body panels line up, they come from the factory looking like they were in an accident. And to top it all off, its government subsidized, paid for with ultra low interest government loans, selling their EV credits to other auto manufacturers, various state tax credits, and the famous 7500 per vehicle federal tax credit.
everyone you see on the road is worth upwards of 25k in tax dollars.

It's not as good as the hype. Poorly thought out car. No physical controls for anything on the center console.

Must look at a big (sometimes washed out screen) to do something as simple as turn up your A/C.

Hope its not a hot day when you drive it, no way to cover up the full panoramic glass above you, you'll feel like you're head is in a toaster.

It suffers from leaks, which is no surprise, because the way the body panels line up, they come from the factory looking like they were in an accident.

And to top it all off, its government subsidized, paid for with ultra low interest government loans, selling their EV credits to other auto manufacturers, various state tax credits, and the famous 7500 per vehicle federal tax credit.

You can assign functions to the scrollable control on the right hand side of the steering wheel. On a hot day, I set it to fan speed, on a cool or cloudy one I set it to % sunroof open.

The screen - matter of preference. I never find the screen washed out, nor do I find it a problem using the screen for controls. But then I don't mind not having physical buttons on my phone either. Given any way of doing things you will always find someone who doesn't like it.

No way to cover the pano roof? Yes there is, there's a clip-on accessory. Have never needed it here in Australia, and owners in Queensland, where it gets really, really hot say they don't need one either.

Leaks - All cars will have a particular case where someone's vehicle leaks due to variance in manufacturing. Mine doesn't leak at all. Panel fit seems ok to me.

Subsidized - so what? I was in the USA in Nov; your ICE cars have petrol heavily subsidized as far as I can see. So are car manufactureres to a greater or lesser extent. Nothing wrong with a subsidy if it helps promote something worthwhile.

As for the car itself - most fun I've had in a car since I was 18.

Makes me happy reading a comment from a Tesla owner not only from Australia, but from Qld. I've seen a few Model S around Brisbane, which is awesome, including a guy who lives just a few streets away from me in Spring Hill. Maybe that's you... If it is you, please let me drive your car one day.

It's not as good as the hype. Poorly thought out car. No physical controls for anything on the center console. Must look at a big (sometimes washed out screen) to do something as simple as turn up your A/C. Hope its not a hot day when you drive it, no way to cover up the full panoramic glass above you, you'll feel like you're head is in a toaster. It suffers from leaks, which is no surprise, because the way the body panels line up, they come from the factory looking like they were in an accident. And to top it all off, its government subsidized, paid for with ultra low interest government loans, selling their EV credits to other auto manufacturers, various state tax credits, and the famous 7500 per vehicle federal tax credit.
Never had the problems you listed here. It is the best car I have owned so far and I have owned at least 1 car of the most popular brands so far. Maybe only BMW rivals it but am kind of biased.

Back