Tesla: from today, all new vehicles will have fully self-driving hardware

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla on Wednesday said all new vehicles that come off the assembly line – including the Model 3 – will include the necessary hardware to enable full self-driving capabilities at a level of safety that’s substantially greater than that of human drivers.

The hardware in question includes eight surround cameras with 360-degree visibility around the vehicle at a distance of up to 820 feet. Vehicles will also come equipped with a dozen updated ultrasonic sensors that’ll complement the cameras, allowing for the detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance as has previously been possible.

Furthermore, vehicles will come equipped with front-facing radar with enhanced processing that’ll allow Tesla vehicles to see through fog, heavy rain, dust and even a vehicle ahead of it.

Tesla has employed a new onboard computer that affords more than 40 times the computing power of its previous system. This new computer will be responsible for processing data from the cornucopia of sensors that upcoming cars will utilize.

Having the hardware onboard and being able to actually use it, however, are two very different things.

Tesla notes that before activating the new features, they will need to further calibrate the system using millions of real-world driving miles in order to make the system as safe as possible. During this time, vehicles with the new hardware will temporarily lack some features that are already on today’s cars like automatic emergency braking, active cruise control, lane holding and collision warnings. Once the features are validated on the new hardware, they will be re-enabled via over-the-air updates.

Tesla didn’t say how long it would be before full autonomy would be available to vehicle owners.

Permalink to story.

While I'm still a little bit skeptical about it's full autonomy, I'd trust it a helluva lot more than a human drivers judgement, unless it were going full tilt around something like Monza, Spa Francorchamps or Brands Hatch race tracks with Nico Rosberg at the wheel.

Not sure I'd be shelling out money for a car that won't have all its features until "some time in the future".... it's one thing to buy an iPhone 7+ that will have enhanced photo capabilities "soon"... that's only a few hundred dollars... but to spend tens of thousands of dollars on "someday" seems to be reaching just a bit...

Not sure I'd be shelling out money for a car that won't have all its features until "some time in the future".... it's one thing to buy an iPhone 7+ that will have enhanced photo capabilities "soon"... that's only a few hundred dollars... but to spend tens of thousands of dollars on "someday" seems to be reaching just a bit...
I dunno, You'd still be assured of getting it all the updates, unless you ignore it's autonomy party trick and somehow manage to wrap it around a tree all by yourself. Then I'd say it's not worth reaching in your pocket for.

It's an easy claim to say all vehicles will have that hardware ....... but where does it say it will actually work!?!?!?!

I love 50mph average speed camera sections on the motorway and cruise control. Relaxing

I dunno, You'd still be assured of getting it all the updates, unless you ignore it's autonomy party trick and somehow manage to wrap it around a tree all by yourself. Then I'd say it's not worth reaching in your pocket for.
Oh I know you will get the updates.... but when?!?! If you were test-driving a car and you wanted to see how the cruise control feature worked... and the dealer says, "it doesn't work yet - but 6 months after you buy it, it will be awesome", I'm not sure you'd want to buy that car...

I'd be waiting until the updates are "live", and I could test drive a working model to see how it goes before I'd be shelling out that much money... But there are people who I suppose have more income than they need who are willing to spend it...

Back