Tesla now accepting pre-orders for Model X SUV

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla is now taking orders for its Model X, the company’s seven-passenger electric SUV first announced in 2012. Here’s all of the pertinent we know at this hour.

First things first, the Model X won’t come cheap. As InsideEV notes, the Model X Signature Series starts at $132,000 and requires a $40,000 deposit (versus the $5,000 deposit for the standard Model X). For the money, you’ll get a fully electric SUV that’s good for around 240 miles on a single charge.

There’s also an optional tow package for $750, a subzero weather package that adds $1,000 to the cost and a ludicrous speed upgrade that commands an additional $10,000.

Much like the Model S sedan, the Model X is capable of blistering acceleration courtesy of its electric motor powertrain. The front motor pumps out 259 horsepower while the rear has 509 ponies on tap. That’s good for a 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds and a top speed of 155 mph.

If you opt for the ludicrous speed package, the 0-60 time drops down to just 3.2 seconds. Tesla says a Model X with the performance package can run an 11.7 second quarter mile. That’s extremely fast – especially for an SUV – and will be more than enough to embarrass the (stock) Mustangs and Camaros of the world from a dig.

Tesla says the Model X is expected to arrive early next year.

Rear shot courtesy Britta Pedersen Zuma Press

Permalink to story.

Looks like a Q5 had a baby with a Model S. At least its fast, though.

If that is the way the doors open, they can keep them as far as I am concerned. That's a big safety hazard.

Even with the crazy price tag, the reason this is good new is because it would mean more electric vehicles on the road; and hopefully leads to more competition.

Are you for real?
Why exactly do you think it is regulation for workers to wear hard hats?

What ever is holding the door suspended will eventually fail. I will not be the one under the door when it does fail. Nor will I be held responsible for someone Else's (especially a kid's) safety either. So yes, I am very serious!

Even with the crazy price tag, the reason this is good new is because it would mean more electric vehicles on the road; and hopefully leads to more competition.

Nope. If it hasn't led to more competition now, with the Model S, Volt, Leaf, and other LEVs on the market, it's not going to lead to more competition down the road.

But I'm pretty sure all the richies who don't mind having a car that cost same as a house are going to love showing off their new little "green" toy to the masses.

Are you for real?

What ever is holding the door suspended will eventually fail. I will not be the one under the door when it does fail. Nor will I be held responsible for someone Else's (especially a kid's) safety either. So yes, I am very serious!
Just making sure, so you're against the whole concept of gullwing doors then? At least the front doors look like they open like normal. :p

Just making sure, so you're against the whole concept of gullwing doors then?
Yes and hatch-backs as well. At least the hood is not something opened daily (much less several times a day), or I would have an issue with it.

I have a safety bubble I'd like to sell you.

Problem is, I left it under a squat rack at the gym. So, retrieval may be a bit risky. :p

Laugh it up. I only hope you don't one day live to regret it. I bet you also laugh at the safety first sign every time you see it. There is no sense in designing anything in an unsafe fashion. I don't care how eye pleasing it is.

So what happened to the concept of having an affordable car for the everyday person? Looks like just another pipe dream to get as much money from people as possible .....

Looks like a Q5 had a baby with a Model S. At least its fast, though.
It'll probably make the X5 or Q5 look like it's looking for parking. I'd love one (Ok, two) but sadly we don't get them over here yet and even if we did... No ways could I afford one. :(

Relax Cliff, lighten up. It'll probably be many a year before one of those gas lifts (or whatever mechanism they use) fails. The chances are by time that happens the car will have long since been scrapped.

Back