Tesla poised to become a household name with $40,000 Model E

Shawn Knight

Staff member

tesla test mainstream market electric car

I can think of very few people that wouldn’t be interested in owning a Tesla electric car but unfortunately, I can think of far more than simply can’t afford to purchase one. My latter observation could change in the next few years, however, according to a new report from the Los Angeles Times.

The publication claims Tesla is working on a new electric car tentatively known as the Model E that will make its debut at the Detroit Auto Show. Unfortunately, it won’t be the 2014 show in early January but rather the 2015 edition. As such, the car would likely go on sale sometime in 2016 or 2017.

Some analysts, like Gartner’s Thilo Koslowski, believe the Model E could be Tesla’s coming out party; a chance for them to become a household brand rather than just something reserved for the wealthy. Koslowski points out that no car company can survive long term on selling just 20,000 to 30,000 cars each year as Tesla is currently doing with the Model S.

Priced somewhere in the $40,000 range, we are hearing it will pack a 200 mile range on a full charge.

The Model E is still years away but in the interim, Tesla has something else to hold everyone over. The dual-motor, all-wheel drive Model X crossover is expected to retail for anywhere between $60,000 to $100,000 depending on the chosen configuration. Mostanticipate the crossover to launch sometime in the second half of next year.

Permalink to story.

For 40K, I hope I get more than the electric aluminum skateboard in the photo! In that price range would be a well equipped Chevrolet Volt. Which is a pretty nice looking car. I'd like to see what Tesla comes up with because I'd be in the market for new wheels around that time-frame.

The 200 miles in it's range is about 2 weeks worth of driving for me.

I'd rather have the original Lotus than the Tesla watch-me-burn-at-the-side-of-the-road. http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/07/autos/tesla-fire/ so no way I'd spend my money on a cheaper version.
Does that mean you won't walk into a bank, because there have been reports of people getting shot? No wait that must mean, you won't walk into a Bank of America. Perhaps you haven't heard the story of Paul Walker's death while driving a Porsche. There are potential for safety issues with anything. You are not even giving Tesla a chance to make amends, with what could be the safest car on the road. And if you didn't notice, the Tesla's that caught fire were previously damaged. There are probably thousands of gasoline cars catching fire each year, but yet here you are pointing out the few Tesla's. And thats only because Tesla's catching fire is not old news.

I drove a Model S every day last week, probably about 12 hours total drive time. I LOVE that car. One of the most responsive vehicles I have ever driven. There are certain things that can be improved, it's clear that the Tesla is not made by a traditional car company, but otherwise it's fantastic!

Wonder why one just caught fire recently in my hometown of Lexington, KY and burned to the ground? Not the first time it's happened.

It doesn't make sense to me, why release an expensive 4x4 before the 'budget' model. Surely if you appeal to the masses you tend to wind up with more money in your back sky. Anyway if this electric vehicle thing takes off in a big way I can't see Tesla sticking around for the long run, there are just too many established motor manufacturers around with far fatter bank balances than Tesla that can afford to throw a lot of money at R&D etc.

I'd rather have the original Lotus than the Tesla watch-me-burn-at-the-side-of-the-road. http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/07/autos/tesla-fire/ so no way I'd spend my money on a cheaper version.

That's because you don't want Max Torque at 0Mph, Low center of gravity and the comfort of silence when driving? :p

Owhh allmost forgot, and to be in the worlds most safest car when getting involved in a car accident? Relax and forget about going up in flames, cause you'll flame up in style :D

Not sure why you guys are bringing up the Lotus. Only the Tesla Roadster was built off that platform and it's being discontinued. The Model S has it's own platform. Every fire has been attributed to significant damage to the vehicle. Here's a picture of one of the crashes that lead to a fire: http://jalopnik.com/another-tesla-model-s-caught-fire-after-a-crash-in-mexi-1453376349

As you can see, that car is pretty jacked up. I understand you guys have probably shorted the stock, which is why you are trying to scare people away from the vehicle, but the Model S and Tesla continue to produce one of the safest vehicles on the market. The Model S has borrowed technology from Space X (I'm talking about the rivets) and has a large crumple zone since there is no traditional gas engine. It truly is great engineering. In addition, it has fantastic handling due to it's low center of gravity and 400 hp/tq applied instantly without having to downshift.

See, the 200 mile range is barely enough for an afternoon for me... Plus the 40K pricetag is just too steep. I'd rather go for a diesel. Efficient, maintainable, etc. I just don't see full electric going mainstream until you can cross the country with it somehow non-stop. Can't take a trip in your Tesla. And with my medical condition, I can't fly anymore so driving is my only choice. Or people who just don't like to fly, need to take more then a suitcase, want to go to a bunch of places, etc. Driving is still an attractive option for many reasons.

As for a commuter; to me, the coming Persu is more attractive for much less money as a commuter. Also available in a full electric or hybrid model, perfect for two people. I've been thinking of the Hybrid myself even just for fun.

Last edited:

Of the criticisms of the Model S, "they burn" is the worst criticism there is. In fact, it is in this respect that Tesla's product is no different from anything else on the road. Until a couple of Teslas randomly explode like $85,000 luxury battery bombs, the safety of the car is hardly in question. If we're going to harp on a brand because some of their products have caught fire after accidents, I think Tesla pulls in at a distant second to another well-known luxury manufacturer: Ferrari. Last I checked, Tesla doesn't have fire extinguishers as an option on every vehicle in its lineup.

The Model S is a nice car. I have yet to actually drive one, but I have seen quite a few in person and it is a well composed vehicle. Not sure I'd choose Tesla over one of the German brands if I had that kind of money, but it's good to see they're expanding into a lower market. As I've said in the past, if they can drop their price so they aren't competing with the likes of BMW et. al., they stand to sell a lot of vehicles.

That's because you don't want Max Torque at 0Mph, Low center of gravity and the comfort of silence when driving? :p

Yes on the low center of gravity,full torque while not moving is just pointless and off course I DON'T want it silent while driving,I want to hear the engine sing to me.whether it be a screaming 4 or a howling 6 but a high pitched whistle,no thanks.

"Koslowski points out that no car company can survive long term on selling just 20,000 to 30,000 cars each year as Tesla is currently doing with the Model S."

Well, what does he know? Ferrari has been selling less than 10,000 cars per year for as long as anyone can remember. That's also what they said about Apple, and we know how that turned out...

"Koslowski points out that no car company can survive long term on selling just 20,000 to 30,000 cars each year as Tesla is currently doing with the Model S."

Well, what does he know? Ferrari has been selling less than 10,000 cars per year for as long as anyone can remember. That's also what they said about Apple, and we know how that turned out...

No kidding... they sell 30,000 because they make 30,000 cars, not because they only received 30,000 orders. I've read the waiting list is a few months long for a Tesla.

Of the criticisms of the Model S, "they burn" is the worst criticism there is. In fact, it is in this respect that Tesla's product is no different from anything else on the road. Until a couple of Teslas randomly explode like $85,000 luxury battery bombs, the safety of the car is hardly in question. If we're going to harp on a brand because some of their products have caught fire after accidents, I think Tesla pulls in at a distant second to another well-known luxury manufacturer: Ferrari. Last I checked, Tesla doesn't have fire extinguishers as an option on every vehicle in its lineup.

The fire thing is just good gossip. Made for some good quotes from Elon Musk too. Pointing out that everyone walked away from those fires without injury, even the guy who drove it through a cement wall and into a tree first. The hysterical irony is that being afraid of battery fires means you'll be using a car filled with gallons of explosive liquid. You'd think if someone was scared of their vehicle catching fire they wouldn't drive one with an engine that works by creating thousands of explosions per minute just a few feet from the driver.

@MilwaukeeMike Exactly. Your post reminds me of a steam engine ad I ran across in a history book one time. It explicitly stated that if you were driving a vehicle with an ICE you were literally driving a bomb. Wish I could find the picture. It's interesting to see that even though the tech changes, the gossip, as you put it, always stays the same.

Yes on the low center of gravity,full torque while not moving is just pointless and off course I DON'T want it silent while driving,I want to hear the engine sing to me.whether it be a screaming 4 or a howling 6 but a high pitched whistle,no thanks.

Having max torque from start is not pointless as long as it can be transmitted from the tires onto the road. I've seen electric cars that just blow away fast petrol cars. I'm not american so I'm not used to having a V8 anyway. I drive a lot in a volvo V60 Hybrid which has an D5 diesel engine but the startup torque is amazing when you want to shoot of like a star. Imagine to have even more from the start!!! And I honestly don't give a damn about sound anyway, I just listen to my music in the car so the less engine sound the better the music sound gets,...

Best of luck tesla really like these cars, can't wait for them to get down to $20-30k range that would make them a perfect for me.

Back