Tesla to reveal new product line next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

tesla electric car elon musk battery pack home battery pack

Tesla boss Elon Musk recently took to Twitter to reveal that his company plans to unveil a new product line soon. What we’ll see on April 30 won’t be a car but something entirely new. But what exactly could he be referring to?

If I was a betting man, I’d put my money on it being a home battery system – the very one Musk talked about during an earnings call earlier this year.

During said call, Musk described a home battery system based on the company’s lithium-ion technology that could be used both at home and in businesses. With the design reportedly complete, Musk said production would get under way within the next six months. Perhaps things are running ahead of schedule?

While not an entirely original idea, a home-based battery pack could be useful in a number of difference scenarios. One idea is that the home battery could draw power from a connected Tesla car. It wouldn't suck the juice dry from the car, but perhaps just sip a little bit of power each day. Considering electricity is free to Tesla owners at Supercharger stations, one could potentially put a dent in their monthly electric bill.

Such a system could also be useful in the event of a power outage. People living off the grid may also be able to use it to store energy collected from solar panels.

We’ll find out more about Tesla’s next big project by the end of April.

Image via Bloomberg

Permalink to story.

And the point of mentioning this month is? No one needs to know anything, until details are released. Save your energy and wait till you have something to report.

And the point of mentioning this month is? No one needs to know anything, until details are released. Save your energy and wait till you have something to report.

Like starting a lawn mower, one must prime the readership.

Perhaps the author was excited because Tesla always catches the public eye with good products or ones that really stand out, so even anticipation of a news is a good news already in itself.

Maybe this time Tesla will finally release a product that's ordinarily shitty, just to cool down enthusiasm of news mongers. I mean, look - Apple does it all the time.

Like starting a lawn mower, one must prime the stock price.

Fixed. :) The stock shot up $6 immediately after his tweet and is up another $4 since then.

A home battery could be a gimmck, or it could be pretty significant. One of the major drawbacks of green energy is the inability to store it. You can't use solar and wind because they are unreliable sources. Current battery systems are so expensive they're not used, but with big improvements a battery system could even help drive the sale of solar panels.

Coincidentally (or not) Musk is also the chairman of Solar City, a company that makes... wait for it... solar panels.

Fixed. :) The stock shot up $6 immediately after his tweet and is up another $4 since then.

A home battery could be a gimmck, or it could be pretty significant. One of the major drawbacks of green energy is the inability to store it. You can't use solar and wind because they are unreliable sources. Current battery systems are so expensive they're not used, but with big improvements a battery system could even help drive the sale of solar panels.

Coincidentally (or not) Musk is also the chairman of Solar City, a company that makes... wait for it... solar panels.
I don't think they actually make solar panels, but actually purchase them from China and wait for it...
install them and lease them.

I would rather have the electrical companies buy these batteries since it's their job to store all the extra power generated by their solar farms.

If he wanted to play with the traders, he would have announced a fragrance.

Back