Tesla's Model S prototype charger is downright creepy

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’re deathly afraid of snakes like I am, you’ll probably want to pass on Tesla’s prototype robotic charger. The snake-like device offers completely hands-free charging of a Model S but watching it slowly connect to the car left me wanting to turn away.

As you can see, the charging neck stands straight up when not in use. Come charge time, simply park the Model S near the station and everything else happens automatically. The charger cover pops open and the creepy arm goes in for the kill.

Tesla shared the video on YouTube earlier today. It’s unclear at this time if or when Elon Musk and company plan to roll out a consumer version.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

That looks like an alien probing device.

I bet it comes with an extra safety belt, like this one:

nnTcvtz.jpg

Last edited:
@VitaliT
that was my first tought!

But on a serious side I think this would be nice if you can program Electricity off peek hours and the time it has to be ready for the morning and let it do its thing

Common, that's not at all creepy, there's no sticky substance coating it, and most importantly there's only one, for true Hentai Tentacle action you need at least 4 tentacles, one simply wont cut it.

Now Google Image search with safe search off "Hentai Tentacle", or don't, I'm just saying.

@VitaliT

But on a serious side I think this would be nice if you can program Electricity off peek hours and the time it has to be ready for the morning and let it do its thing
Or just plug it in with a simple timer mechanism rather than an unnecessary tentacle appendage.

@VitaliT

Or just plug it in with a simple timer mechanism rather than an unnecessary tentacle appendage.

Actually all that is programmed into the car. So you can plug it in at 4pm, but it won't start charging until 8pm or whenever you tell it so you can use cheap power.

Thank you Tesla for bringing us the most entertaining story of the week. Too bad the 'power snake' wasn't enough to save the stock price this week. Investors seem to care more about how many cars they're making.

Robotics to the rescue again, saving lazy rich people from doing a extra task, giving bloggers something to write about, entertaining robotics fans, and many more.

Back