TechSpot

Tesla's Musk confirms Model 3, a smaller and cheaper electric vehicle

By Shawn Knight
Jul 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Tesla Motors has confirmed rumors that a smaller and cheaper electric vehicle is indeed in the works. The Model 3 will be unveiled next year following the launch of the Model X this fall and will roll into garages in 2017.

Read more

cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,156   +1,431

Ford sued them for using "Model E"?! They must be a real bunch of "A-Holes" - also trademarked and copyrighted.

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Nearly at a price point that most can afford.

4. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Addict Posts: 439   +84

I heard rumors of Toyota coming out with a hydrogen car next year, this could pour rain on Tesla parade.

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,754   +1,107

Toyota's alternative vehicles don't currently share any price points with Tesla. A prius isn't made for the same person a Model S.

Also, Tesla just released all their patents for everyone to use. They welcome the competition. They think of it as the more companies making alternative vehicles, the more recharging stations there will be (granted Toyotas will need H2 not electricity, but maybe they'll do both at one station). It will also help promote the idea of non-gasoline cars so people are more comfortable buying them.

6. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 61   +6

Most people don't even charge their phone I cant wait to see this cars all over the sides of the roads because they did not charge the car last night

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,561   +862

except the rise of charging stations makes it not much different than people who forgot to stop at a gas station.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  8. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Guru Posts: 306   +62

I can't wait for actual reports of people driving from LA to SF non-stop.

I do doubt that statement since there are 2 major uphill drives that you make which would it risky to not stop.

9. S III X = 6 6 6

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,559   +2,900

And?
    I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist myself, but that is over the top in my opinion.
    Besides the sequence is S, X, and then 3.