Test your typing skills

olefarte

I thought some of you might have a little fun seeing how fast you can type and how accurate you are. Click here, to take the test if your interested. I would give credit to somebody for finding this, but I can't remember where I found it.

I only got 48 too, I don't seem to have problems with typing that slowly for other things though.

I agree with SNGX1275, I got a score of 50, but I feel I type much faster when I know what I'm typing...the Huckleberry Finn paragraph is strange as hell to type out, the english is just awkward.

98 WPM / 1 error first time

112 WPM / 3 errors second time

edit: did the strategic one

I don't feel I'm typing that slow normaly, when typing posts or e-mails. But if you really want to feel bad, look at the current top scores. The fastest is 184, now that REALLY makes ME feel bad.

Stratigic Alliences is much easier than Huck Finn one, shizzoid is right the English in that one was horrible. Things didn't flow well in the sentence structure and only made sense after reading the entire sentence, in my opinion good English is when you don't have to read the entire sentence to figure out what the heck the first 5 words were doing together.

I got 65WPM on Stratigic Alliences and had 1 spelling error. 98% accuracy.

Actually I am just kidding. I didn't score that high because I didn't take that test. Though in my ninth grade keyboarding class I had typing tests and my highest score that year was 142wpm with 3 errors. :p I'm not sure how fast I type today. Wouldn't think it would be much higher than 142wpm though.

Most normal people don't type that fast during everyday typing, I know I don't. You have to really concentrate to get that high and be in some kind of insane mode. I got some weird looks that day. Normally I type 90wpm give or take some depending on what I'm doing.

I've got 66WPM with 5 errors.

But, I'm not like most of you. I learned to type by myself and I don't use home keys or antyhing. I use 6 fingers and the occasional thumb.

I can type super fast when I write what is on my mind.

~90wpm is my calculated average over about 6 months... occasionally I can hit a high peak of 130 to 140, but only if I've memorized what I'm typing beforehand.

The best way to improve typing skills is to just use the computer, nothing more.

When I saw some of the top scores though, I thought jesus... I thought I was fast, with an average of 90.. then I see dozens of scores upwards of 150, 180... good god. That's faster then people can THINK!

Originally posted by XtR-X
But, I'm not like most of you. I learned to type by myself and I don't use home keys or antyhing. I use 6 fingers and the occasional thumb.

Well, actually I dont use the "home keys" myself and I still type around 80-90 during regular usage. I don't type faster than that because I mean you have to be insane to type faster than 90wpm when your just chatting.

I can type about 60wpm with one hand lol, so home keys dont have anything to do with how fast I type. I never really listened to my teachers in keyboarding classes. Just as Soul said speed comes from sitting at the computer and typing constantly.

And one weird thing is I actually go to where I could type with both hands at about, I'm guessing 60-70wpm, and talk to my brother for example about something totally different at the same time. I caught myself doing that one day and couldnt believe it, the I tried to do it purposely and I still could.

That all comes down to multi-tasking. I would say if you are good at working with computer you would be a good multi-tasker. That is something I have observed over the years.

I scored 94WPM, not particularly high. I seem to be able to type A LOT faster when I know what I am typing, especially when I am composing myself. I did read through the Strategic Alliances text a few times to familiarize myself with it hoping I would achieve a higher score; unfortunately the difference was not too great. I blame my poor score on not being able to comprehend the text quickly as my own writing is so different in comparison.

It seems to me that people who have the highest speeds in typing tend to have started at much earlier age. I wonder if it is part of ingraining into memory, the proper movement of the hands. I myself never took a typing course, and have a fast WPM average, yet my hands are very shaky and unstable... it's just because I've been doing it so long that I am able to do it well at all.

Ive been using computers since I was in kindergarden (at school) but I got my first computer when I was 8 or 9. When you think about the fact that I've sat in front of a computer most of my life from the time I was 9-20 (will be 21 in less than a month) you can pretty much figure out that I've spent about 23,000 hours in front of a computer. That is just a rough estimate though. So I would say your right Soul. I type very fast but I've sat in front of a computer constantly for many years so obviously that had a lot to do with it.

Not really sure how much it has to do with how young you are when you start but I would sure bet on that theory being true. Also if you think about the saying "you can't teach old dogs new tricks" that kind of makes that theory work even better ;-).

Back