testing a UPS

By Tedster
May 18, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought a used UPS that the battery is old and flakey. It will charge to 100% but won't hold a load. I even tested it on just a house lamp. The lamp stayed lit for about 15 seconds on battery power.

I know I have to replace the battery. Easy enough. The question is how often do I have to deep cycle UPS batteries?

The UPS was $50, a replacement battery $30. A new UPS is $120 for the same wattage (500). So I guess I saved a few bucks.

Its a APC Back-UPS pro 500 with USB interface made in 1999.
  2. nein

nein Banned Posts: 226

If the battery is something other than lead-acid battery, then you deep-cycled whenever it became flaky, not holding a sufficient charge.

If it is a lead-acid battery which most of the heavy duty UPS batteries are then you don't deep-cycled it at all.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 10,074   +13

it's definately a lead battery. My understanding is lead batteries develop a memory.
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I was told a long time ago to drain an UPS at least once a month.
  4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

i thought is was nickel-cadmium (ni-cad) batteries that had a 'memory' and required calibration. is it a sealed lead-acid battery?
  5. nein

nein Banned Posts: 226

All of them do to one degree or another, lead-acid is a special case - you have to know the specific how-to and have to have the patience required to do a deep-cycled properly. Most people don't know the how-to and neither had the patience which ruined the batteries every time they tried.

Essentially all lead-acid chargers nowaday have included built-in deep-cycled charging algorithm to do it for you, therefore no one really further needed to know the how-to nor the patience required.

If your car lead-acid battery no longer hold a charge properly, don't bother with deep-cycled charging on your own.
  6. Tedster

yes, it is sealed.
  7. Tedster

supposedly APC has a program to do this special type of deep-cycling with a hardware adaptor. of course they charge for it. Not worth it for me. If all I have to do is drain it completely once a month or every other month, that's ok for me.
  8. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Heh, I use my UPS simply as a surge protector. I have the UPS 500 as well, but I have both my machines hooked up to it, I get about 4 or 5 seconds of backup. But it is a very nice surge protector nonetheless.
  9. Tedster

4 or 5 seconds? Windows takes longer than that! heh heh....

kind of an expensive surge protector huh?

pssst... wanna bad a USED flakey battery!

hahahaha :grinthumb
  10. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I got it for free, so I'm not complaining :D And it does the job. Sure windows doesn't get shut down, but it still saves my components.
  11. Tedster

like king of the hill...... yup

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.