TechSpot

Tether android to ipad via bluetooth

By Tedster
Jun 6, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I am trying to tether my old droid X to my ipad air via bluetooth. I have PDAnet+ on my phone. I can't use my hotspot feature (wifi) on the phone as verizon shuts it off after a few seconds. My phone is rooted and unlocked. I'd like to teather via bluetooth bue PDAnet doesn't make an ap for ipad. Any suggestions?

2. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Evangelist Posts: 787   +58

Since you're rooted, here's another option for wi-fi tether - Barnacle. Worked well for me when I had my old work laptop. Due to IT policy change, the new laptop can't connect to ad-hoc wi-fi connection. So I've switched to PDANet+ for it's wired tether feature.

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Topic Starter Posts: 6,000   +15

Barnacle won't work - it's for wifi. I am trying to use bluetooth.

Just found out PDAnet plus will work via bluetooth but it is extremely slow. It may be the signal out where I am - as I am on mission in the Mojave desert. I can't use Wifi as Verizon blocks hotspot service as I don't pay for it. I am grandfathered in on my old phone for unlimited internet and I frequently travel to areas with limited service (middle of nowhere).

For now I can send emails, but surfing and checking the web is almost impossible.
    At the moment I have an office computer that is hardwired, but when I am in the field I rely on my phone.

4. Rabbit01

Good to hear you have some connectivity via bluetooth.

I don't have hotspot service either, hence barnacle for when I have to get online via phone during power outage. The last time I used it, my plan w/ VZW was unlimited data. I have tiered plan now, still no hotspot service, PDAnet+ v 4.16.3. No issue w/ hotspot cutting out after couple seconds.

5. Tedster

Verizon has found a way to cut off wifi hotspot service for those that don't pay for it and try to bypass it. I can use bluetooth or direct cable with no issues.

6. Rabbit01

Really? Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

7. Tedster

Yup - I was able to use a wifi hotspot before with no issues then about a year ago when I tried to use PDAnet hotspot, it would only work for about 5 minutes. I noticed that no data was being sent in or out over wifi. bluetooth and usb connections would work. I then came across some news articles saying verizon was blocking 3rd party tether applications using wifi that didn't pay for wifi service.

I was a little peeved as I have unlimited internet service and I am grandfathered in. I don't want to upgrade my phone because I will lose my grandfather clause.