Tetris is being made into a live-action, sci-fi movie

Shawn Knight

Staff member

tetris movie sci-fi live action movie tetris movie

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the most successful. Just look at Minecraft, a modern title featuring graphics from the 8-bit era in which players use blocks to build things. And how can you forget about Tetris, a 30-year-old game that challenges players to strategically stack blocks?

These titles share more than 8-bit graphics and blocks in common. Following the announcement of a Minecraft movie earlier this year, we’ve now learned that Tetris is being made into a live-action movie. No, I’m not kidding.

According to a report from The Wall Street Journal, Threshold Entertainment has teamed up with the Tetris Company to create a live-action film based on the iconic game. Although there isn’t a cast and directors haven’t been selected yet, the two companies already have a storyline in place.

Threshold CEO Larry Kasanoff said it won’t be a movie about a bunch of lines running around the page as they aren’t giving feet to the game’s geometric shapes. Instead, they’re pitching it as a “very big, epic sci-fi movie.” He added that brands are the new stars of Hollywood and the story behind Tetris makes it a much more imaginative thing.

Kasanoff has been down this road before as he was responsible for the game-to-film adaptations of Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation in the mid-90s.

The executive said what we will see in the Tetris movie is just the tip of an iceberg that has intergalactic significance.

Do you think Tetris will end up being a blockbuster (sorry) once it falls into theaters (sorry, again)?

Permalink to story.

The U.S. film industry officially jumps the Shark(nado) !

Let me guess. Latest not-really-A-list actor playing an emotionally struggling vet incomprehensively gets a call from the President to take charge of the world's combined military forces to manoeuvre falling blocks into a joined sequence by hacking the alien machines using Windows XP. Not-really-A-list actor needs to accomplish this before the blocks splat the city where his estranged ex-wife, his adorable kid, and the ex's new ineffectual husband live. This will be accomplished with one second left on some arbitrary timer, but not before one less significant city is destroyed.

Can't wait for the sequel....Tetris vs. Solitaire

Last edited:
I'll be looking forward to this. I have no idea how they can make it epic sci-fi, but I'm curious. Battleship was silly but I enjoyed it, and this sounds like it could be a decent flick. Probably nothing to go to the theatre for, but I'll still want to see it.

If they are using mortal kombat movies as some sort of CV this is the most unapealing thing I've heard lately.

What was the thought process on this one? Battleship was made into a movie, and tetris was an even MORE popular game than battleship?

See at least Battleship is based on a 1 v 1 scenario, that was extrapolated into the US vs Aliens, what else is new, add Liam Neeson, special effects, and voila. Tetris, I just don't see a movie having any direct relation, beside of course the blocks falling from the sky, to actual point in Tetris, how stacking blocks in a city environment will be portrayed will be interesting to see, Futurama did it between two buildings as a joke in one episode but that was for a 15 second segment. Might go see it if I don't pay, for sure I won't fork over money for this one.

I really think at this point, this is Hollywood's attempt at insulting the game industry further. They see it as a threat. Sort of like the news stories that Fox, NBC, CNN have to run about how games are "kill simulators" because they don't like the new competition.
This is sort of Hollywood's way of doing the same.
Either way, can we kill it with fire?
Hope this movie ruins another director's career and we never hear from that person, or the people that starred in the movie, ever again.

Maybe they could rip off the "Transformers" franchise, and have the falling blocks turn into Gumby, who then goes on a killing spree, eating people playing "Tetris" on Pentium 3 computers. Hey, don't knock it, at least with my plot line, they may not be able to make a sequel.

Was "Tetris" around for Pentium 2 based machines? If so caveat emptor, I smell a prequel in the offing.

"Danger Wil Robinson, danger! Please avert your eyes from the ships video screen". No siree Wil, you won't be able to un-see this stinker.

I'm waiting for the Minecraft movie especially in high-definition

Last edited by a moderator:
Back