TechSpot

Thanking all in advance for the assistance

By Boppa
Oct 14, 2009
  1. People of the world. Nice to be here and hope I have a long and successful stay in this forum. Am currently experiencing problems which brought me here in the first place. Will be posting that problem shortly. THANX!

2. hectorjones

hectorjones TS Rookie

hectorjones

Such a nice post....
    Weight loss

3. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

Hi Boppa :wave:

I am not a mod, but
    Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

When I arrived, one of the Mods welcomed me with these helpful hints.

You should read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.
    System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Ok, we are looking forward to hearing about your problem that brought you here... anytime you are ready.

5. Boppa

Boppa TS Rookie Topic Starter

The problem is the (so far) inability to get an OS to load on a brand new system. The only components not new are the case, floppy, and the CD-ROMs. Numerous attempts to get an OS install have failed to date. Have tried a floppy from Win98SE days which was to be used if you had no OS and would then go to the CD-ROM to the Win98SE for install. This does not seem to work as perhaps this new m/b is not compatible with 98. Have also tried putting in a WinXP SP2 CD, a WinXP Home Upgrade CD, and the WinXP Home full version. On some attempts it rejects the CD as not being a boot device. Also have had the install bomb out due to "File hpt3xx.sys" not found. Failed. Restart. Other attempts have been unable to find and/or copy various files, despite my switching CDs in the hope it would find these on one of these CDs. Have had some success on some of these files, but never an install totally clean. Seem to always miss 'wmplayer.chm' and one or two others. Have been other installs that crapped out with a beautiful "BLUE SCREEN" stating 'problem detected and windows shut down to prevent damage to computer. Followed by various possible reasons for the having happened. Last try the message at the bottom of this screen indicated "TECH INFO. *** stop: 0x0000007e. & *** pci.sys - address F748E0BF. My next stop may have to be MSI tech support which I am hesitant to use since I have heard it sucks and they seem to want a lot of info off this m/b which is going to require me to disconnect everything and remove it from the case. Was hoping someone had had a similar problem and a fix for this???

6. WinXPert

WinXPert TS Guru Posts: 445

Welcome to TS. If i know the answer to your problem I'll help. Good day.

7. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

Read the threads to which I referred you initially.
    Then post your request for help again, this time in the BSOD sub forum.
    The Intro area is for intros (see the stickies at the top!).
    Questions / requests / tutorials / and general discussions should always be posted in the appropriate sub forums.
    I hope this helps.

8. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

One factor in this install, is to be sure that drivers will be available for Windows 98 that will work on that board. And that you are using an ATA or IDE drive of the correct parameters.

But if you are connected properly, between the hard drive and the system, you should be able to boot to the drive, and run an install...
    There are of course, limits on what the maximum size hard drive that Windows 98 will tolerate, and you need to format the hard drive to meet those standards for decent results.

But not many boards are designed to handle a Windows 98 install. Drivers for boards will not work with Windows 98. Windows 98 does not have drivers for many modern board.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.