Thanks so much

By Theoden
Aug 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi. I was trying to reinstall my Canon printer after a clean system install, but I had no driver and couldn't find the disc. I went to a couple places that scanned my computer, then wanted money to install some drivers (and I couldn't really understand much of the tech-talk). So I came here, got the driver I needed, and I was printing out in seconds. So...thanks so much for offering a free driver. I really appreciate it. :approve:
  2. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

And it was very nice of you to post about your experience. Glad you found help. I'm sure i speak for everyone here who also appreciates your taking the time to post :)
  3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Yes, not everyone does so and we do appreciate it.
  4. Theoden

Theoden TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm sure I'll be back! To stay on topic, I'm a 5th grade math teacher who uses computers but is still mystified by many things inside the computer. I have an XP (which I refuse to get rid of because I like the floppy disc drive), a Vista, and a Windows 7 laptop. So happy to find this place. Thanks again.:wave:
  5. mailpup

In all the desktops I build for myself, I install floppy drives. How goofy is that? :)
  6. Theoden

Goofy? Sounds very clever to me. I still use a Sony floppy drive camera, so I would want a floppy drive on all my computers. (not willing to go to the expense quite yet though):haha:
  7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,462   +1,760

Goofy is such an ugly term, I always favor "eccentric"!
    Case in point, it's "eccentric" to still have a floppy disc camera, not "goofy".

In practice the only common current reason to have a floppy drive installed, is to install SATA drivers in XP, and perhaps a BIOS update, which are very infrequent at most.

But if y'all insist, have I got a "Zip" drive for you.
  8. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 1,971   +10

What's wrong with liking a floppy drive ?
  9. mailpup

Zip drive! I already have one of those too.
  10. captaincranky

Nothing, it's "eccentric"......see above.. Well, other than the fact that I have downloaded free photos that would require 10 floppies to hold one of them. A tad cost ineffective and inconvenient, wouldn't you agree. Playback takes forever. Not liking something, and not wanting to deal with something, are two different things though.

Wait, I just remembered, I own a floppy drive, I bought it just in time for Windows 7. Windows 7 loads SATA drivers on it's own, no need for a floppy. Again, a big plus for floppy drives, at the rate I'm going to need mine, it should last forever. :rolleyes:
  11. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

I have a USB floppy drive, and a bootable USB DOS flash drive in my arsenal. :D

Am I eccentric too? Is it like a special club I can join.... ;) LOL.
  12. captaincranky

Yes, Take Heart, You're as Eccentric as the Rest of Us.....

Part of being "eccentric" is not knowing you've found the place you're looking for, while you're indeed in it. Welcome to "Eccentralia", stay as long as you like, we're here for you, always! :wave:
  13. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

Bargain! :D
  14. Theoden

Yoy guys are hilarious. I don't know how I missed this place. I've tried so many computer forums. It's great to see someone having fun as well as being helpful. Wish I knew all the terminology you use. I have hundreds of pics on floppy discs, and I fully intend to put them on CDs one day, so I really want to keep the floppy drive---and my Sony is still great (though it's getting harder and harder to power up). You have a great forum here (I also enjoy knowing you aren't so strict on the "stay on topic" thing--we have the same nuttiness on our LotR site). :approve: