TechSpot

The 25 most popular passwords of 2013 prove people are just as naive as ever

By Shawn Knight
Jan 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. You would think that with all of the newfound attention that online privacy generated over the course of 2013, people would perhaps rethink some of their mundane password choices to better lock down their online accounts. Think again. A list...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,980   +392

Some of those are really random....

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,388   +425

What's amazing is some of the most computer savvy and best IT professionals I know use horrible passwords like these.

4. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Booster Posts: 186   +39

My guess is that using horrible passwords is the result of knowing too little or too much. At least my favorite (for non-financial purposes) wasn't on the list. I use it for all sorts of stupid 'password required' situations.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Phr3d likes this.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

"God" no longer on the list? Did ego-maniacs drop in numbers all of a sudden?

BlueDrake likes this.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,409   +1,595

This is what I want to know. Without some software recording everyones passwords, how do they know what password everyone uses? The whole idea behind this topic suggest they know what password everyone uses. Under that assumption why use a password at all? I find this whole research a lie, because they couldn't possible know what the most common passwords are without monitoring what everyone uses.

7. Nobina

Nobina TS Booster Posts: 437   +97

Well the article says that they looked for already stolen passwords that went public and made a research from that. Means they didn't record anything I guess.

8. "The list from SplashData was compiled from the millions of stolen passwords last year that were ultimately made public."
    That's how they know.

9. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,608   +630

You know which password isn't on this list?

"1"

10. '1' was not on that list, as most sites would require a 5+ character string.

11. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,608   +630

Exactly.

12. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

Adobe users? I assume that is referring to their website? Yeah, I used to use a silly password like these for Adobe when they required me to create an account just to download software. Sometimes it's just to shut-up these websites which require registrations.

Phr3d, cliffordcooley and davislane1 like this.
  13. mizkitty

mizkitty TS Rookie Posts: 21

Unless you're using pirated software...most people are logged into adobe.com when using adobe apps.
    Creative Cloud after all...

14. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

I haven't purchased any Adobe products in the past 5-6 years. Guess I've missed out on that Cloud excitement with Adobe XD. If my documents were up on the Adobe cloud I'd use stronger passwords. But if it's just toolbar settings, like in cases for Office 2013, I could care less if someone breaks that password and changes my buttons to their heart's desire. With me it's about registering to get redistributable downloads to put up on the corp intranet support website.

15. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Booster Posts: 566   +47

Most websites do not allow for such a short character amount anymore.

16. The world would be a better place If everyone start to use password managers.

17. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Booster Posts: 186   +39

And they would get popular and become the next target?
    Hmmm. The killer app would be 'a better way'.

18. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 958   +23

One coincidence is that my brother's ex wife's password for her laptop was password1, and Kim Komando announced it on her show the next weekend as the most common password used at that time. Put passwords on the air, huh? One thing I hate about windows 8.1 is that you HAVE to use a password, and it has to be a strong one, in your own apartment.

19. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,409   +1,595

Another strike against Win8.1. I will not use a password, when I am the only one that uses the machine and have nothing to hide. If MS wants to force the use of a password, they can forget about me ever using a new OS of theirs.

Just this afternoon, I grew agitated when ask for login credentials to my own machine from another. I purposely share specific folders and leave them wide open to prevent these closed doors. But yet I am constantly finding machines that for some unseen reason can not connect. Talk about instant anger. I'd love to scalp Balmer every time I am asked for login credential (whether it be bootup or networking), especially when I go way out of my way to leave that door wide open.

Phr3d likes this.
  20. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +108

'iloveyou' was there, or should I say 'oneforthree'

21. As per bluetooth passwords which are rarely changed. "0000" should be on there as number 1. For every cell phone, blue tooth radio, blue tooth speakers, etc.

22. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Enthusiast Posts: 283   +34

Hare you tried this - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2015587/how-to-bypass-the-windows-8-password-screen.html

23. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Enthusiast Posts: 283   +34

About this whole topic, Forest Gump has a saying. :D

24. Reg Doherty

Reg Doherty TS Rookie

There are many very inconsequential websites that demand more complex logins than my bank! They act like they're Fort Knox. E.g. My Aqua water account. I suppose they fear someone's going to break into my account and pay my bill. What REALLY works well is a good password manager, which you can find online. Just one complex password, worth memorizing, gives me secure access to all the rest AND with automatic information fill-in to boot. -rjd

Phr3d likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.