The $29 Nokia 215 is Microsoft's most affordable Internet-ready phone

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Microsoft has announced a new entry-level phone which the company says is designed to connect first-time mobile phone buyers to the Internet. Dubbed Nokia 215, the device is priced at $29 (before taxes and subsidies), and is available in both Single SIM and Dual SIM models.

The Nokia 215 features a 2.4-inch QVGA LCD display at 320 by 240 pixels, a 0.3 megapixel camera, 8MB of RAM, a microSD card slot supporting 32GB, as well as a 1100 mAh battery offering up to 20 hours of talk time, and standby time of up to 29 days or 21 days for Single SIM and Dual SIM models, respectively.

The phone runs Nokia’s Series 30 operating system, and comes pre-loaded with Facebook, Messenger, Twitter, Bing Search, MSN Weather, and many other popular apps. Connectivity options include Micro USB, 900/1800 MHz band support, Bluetooth 3.0 with SLAM and HSP/HFP profile.

"With our ultra-affordable mobile phones and digital services, we see an inspiring opportunity to connect the next billion people to the Internet for the first time," said Jo Harlow, corporate vice president of Microsoft Devices Group, adding that the Nokia 215 is perfect for people looking for their first mobile device, or those wanting to upgrade to enjoy social media services, like Facebook and Messenger.

Both Single and Dual SIM models of the Nokia 215 will be available in Bright Green, Black, and White, and will roll out first "in select markets" in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, as well as Europe in Q1 2015.

Permalink to story.

I would love to have one to tinker around and use as an emergency backup, along an external backup battery it would satisfy my emergency backpack.

Id honestly love to replace my primary phone with something like this, in some ways. Less distractions and not a constant worry if it breaking and having to pay hundreds of dollars for replacement.

I would love to have one to tinker around and use as an emergency backup, along an external backup battery it would satisfy my emergency backpack.
Well buy one, it's cheap enough. Don't you still have an old feature phone lying around collecting dust because that is what this phone basically is?

Id honestly love to replace my primary phone with something like this, in some ways. Less distractions and not a constant worry if it breaking and having to pay hundreds of dollars for replacement.
Yup it is nice and simple but why worry about breaking or losing your current device? Let your insurance worry about it, after all you do overpay them for that service.

Well buy one, it's cheap enough. Don't you still have an old feature phone lying around collecting dust because that is what this phone basically is?

Sure, if it only charged through a usb plug I could use it with the battery. And yes I would buy one if it arrived in the market I live in.

This would be the perfect camping/fishing phone if it was waterproof and floated. I would still take it camping but I would love to be able touches it without worrying about fish guts killing it. It's priced just right and has that 29 day battery time that it's no excuse that every home emergency kit shouldn't have one.

Not really interested in the internet aspect of it, but the price is something I like. Would be nice to hear about updates concerning the payment plan. Hope to see it in america someday

Back