The $40 Mechanical Keyboard: Is It Any Good?

Steve

Staff member

About this time last year we put together a roundup of affordable mechanical keyboards aimed at gamers. We looked at a dozen popular options from brands such as Corsair, Logitech, Roccat, Tt eSports, and many others. The most economical keyboard featured in that roundup was $70. Since then we've seen and tested a few more mechanical keyboards, such as the Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire, the Division Zero X40 and Das' Prime 13, all nice options, and all priced at well over $100.

So, what if you want a mechanical keyboard but only have $40 to spend? Not long ago that wouldn't have been an option, but with the market now flooded with loads of Cherry MX knock-off switches, this has enabled companies to develop very affordable mechanical keyboards.

One such case is the GranVela MechanicalEagle Z-77, available on Amazon for as little as $35 without backlighting and $40 with it. This is a fully mechanical keyboard using knock-off blue switches in a tenkeyless (87-key) layout.

Read the complete review.

It's a keyboard.... I'm typing this on an $8 special from FP. Seems to work ok, only wish it would type faster and think better.

Bhaaaaaaahhhh! You got me beat, mine cost me $9.50 last year ..... I got to find a cheaper supplier!

I don't know what all the fuss is about having mech keys. I've used a mech KBD''s all with Cherry MX blacks for years now but if I had to, I could easily switch back to membrane.

I don't know what all the fuss is about having mech keys. I've used a mech KBD''s all with Cherry MX blacks for years now but if I had to, I could easily switch back to membrane.

I couldn't. I have a wireless membrane keyboard on one of my test systems (Logitech MK710). Just typing in passwords with it is a real dog, feels like crap. For anyone that does a lot of typing, I couldn't imagine not using a mechanical keyboard. Having said that they are obviously much better for gaming which is what all the fuss is about.

It's a keyboard.... I'm typing this on an $8 special from FP. Seems to work ok, only wish it would type faster and think better.
Bhaaaaaaahhhh! You got me beat, mine cost me $9.50 last year ..... I got to find a cheaper supplier!
Read this and weep you two :p : http://www.microcenter.com/product/373546/USB_Wired_Keyboard_-_Black

$3.99! Sometimes I pour coffee on one to kill it so I don't have to bother cleaning it, and just buy another.

I recently bought a PS-2 blowout model for $2.99, but you have to push pretty hard to get the "O" and the "_" to work...:D

I can't type without my buttons each having different LED backlight color.
You know you're not supposed to look at the keys when you're typing, right?

Although, I think only teen aged high school girls are the only demographic which can actually pull that off!

Just because they can type at least 75 WPM by the time they graduate, is no reason to be hard on yourself.

Read this and weep you two :p : http://www.microcenter.com/product/373546/USB_Wired_Keyboard_-_Black

$3.99! Sometimes I pour coffee on one to kill it so I don't have to bother cleaning it, and just buy another.

I recently bought a PS-2 blowout model for $2.99, but you have to push pretty hard to get the "O" and the "_" to work...:D

You know you're not supposed to look at the keys when you're typing, right?

Although, I think only teen aged high school girls are the only demographic which can actually pull that off!

Just because they can type at least 75 WPM by the time they graduate, is no reason to be hard on yourself.

My "O" key works fine, but my "J, U, N, M" keys seem to stick a lot .... wonder if it has anything to do with using my right index finger to pick my nose?????

My "O" key works fine, but my "J, U, N, M" keys seem to stick a lot .... wonder if it has anything to do with using my right index finger to pick my nose?????
Well, up to now I been thinking picking one's nose was the #1 pastime for Americans while sitting at a traffic light. And they say horse racing is, "the sport of kings"..:D Right.

Besides, a booger lodged in between two keys is more likely to activate both at once. Accordingly, you should be more likely to get these pairs: J/K, U/I, N/M, or M/<. A lefty would favor the keys to the left of the intended target.;)

Don't you use vowels when you type? It seems you would have ready made diphthongs if you did.

And please, don't get me started about watching erotic art films and trying to type at the same time. Why that's practically "the height", or possibly, "the pinnacle" of multitasking. It's pretty tough on keyboards as well...:D

I have a 40.00 mechanical keyboard and I like it better than my Logitech 710+. The 710+ keys starting to fall off and Logitech had to send me a new replacement sets. It now sits in a box as a back up to this 40.00 KB.

The KB in this article looks almost like the on I have so you can program it so only illuminate certain keys.

"FN+9, FN+0 for customized settings: Press FN+9 or FN+0, and press FN+Home to program, press the keys you want illuminated, press FN+End"

ive had my blue switch mechanical for about a year now and I probably could move back to membrane with no issues. I dont feel like I have to treat those are carefully, and the noise is finally getting to me. Maybe the O-rings I installed ruin the feeling of the keys a bit, idk. Regardless my next keyboard will either be a cheap membrane or a black-switch mechanical

Back