The Arcade Hotel in Amsterdam is dedicated to gamers

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you've ever been to Las Vegas, you know that themed hotels aren't a new idea. Few, however, cater to their guests the way The Arcade Hotel in Amsterdam does.

As you've likely gathered from the name, The Arcade Hotel is all about video games. Located in the De Pijp region of the city, the new hotel (it opened last weekend) features game consoles in every room, handheld consoles in the bar area and even a comic book library.

Early check-outs? Forget about it. The Arcade Hotel knows its clientele, allowing guests to check out as late as 1 p.m. which you'll probably want to take advantage of since you'll be gaming the night away.

Right now, the hotel offers just 36 rooms in single, double, twin, triple and groups of four (the hotel plans to add 10 additional rooms by the fall). Pricing starts at 75 Euro (just over $80) per night which isn't bad considering all the gaming gear is included.

The owner, Daniel Salmanovich, told VG24/7 that he is remodeling the hotel into a special place for people who love gaming. He added that he wanted to create a place where travelers and gamers feel like they are staying at a friend's home.

It's a neat concept but in all honesty, the Arcade Hotel seems more about the atmosphere and meeting like-minded people versus locking yourself away in your room for the weekend on a gaming binge (although I suppose that's also an option).

Permalink to story.

Ugh! Not for me thanks. As much as I like playing games myself, I wouldn't dream of hanging out with most gamers.

Well I see it more as going there with my group of friends for a weekend break in Dam and having the hotel+gaming as little extra after long day of walking from a coffee shop to a coffee shop.

irl gamers aren't so toxic as on the net, no monitor to protect their faces.

Sheeezzzeeee ..... why go all the way over there; I just need to go into my son's room! Of course, I am sure the hotel room doesn't have week old pizza in it and smell like a 10' tall gym bag .....

Sounds pretty sweet. Go to Amsterdam, get some of the dankest nugs ever, get ripped and play video games. As long as they don't have soley the ancient crap in the pics of this article.

Sounds pretty sweet. Go to Amsterdam, get some of the dankest nugs ever, get ripped and play video games. As long as they don't have soley the ancient crap in the pics of this article.
since when was the xbox and ps1 ancient crap? Old classics, yes, but crap? The ps1 had a lot of really good games. And so did the xbox (all the star wars games, 4 player battlefront, halo 1, forza, the better versions of destroy all humans 1 and 2, ece).

As for the old TVs, if they have old analog era consoles (anything before ps2) then tube TV is the way to go. Those old systems just don't look very good when stretched onto widescreen digital displays.

Ugh! Not for me thanks. As much as I like playing games myself, I wouldn't dream of hanging out with most gamers.

You do realise the hotel isn't going to be full of a load of css kiddies, most of them lot probably weren't even born when some of the consoles were mainstream.

Back