The average smartphone user spends more than three-fourths of their time in just three apps

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Despite a sea of mobile apps to choose from, the average American spends the majority of their time using just three apps.

In its annual U.S. mobile app report, market research firm comScore found that 50 percent of a user’s time spent on apps is within their top-ranked app. The number two app accounts for 18 percent of app time while their third favorite app consumes 10 percent of time spent in apps. Collectively, the top three apps account for 78 percent of all time spent in apps.

It may come as little surprise, then, that the top apps get some special attention. comScore noted that three in four smartphone users keep their most used app on the home screen and fully in view versus tucked away inside an app folder or on a secondary screen.

Time spent in apps comes at the expense of the mobile web. Those polled said they spend 87 percent of their time in apps versus the mobile web while on a smartphone. The figure drops to 83 percent on tablets, likely because tablets offer a better web browsing experience due to having a larger screen.

comScore further points out that while its more difficult to establish an audience for an app, the rewards are certainly worth it as people send 18x more time on apps than mobile web visitors spend on websites.

One final takeaway – your age plays a significant role in determining how you interact with a smartphone. Of those aged 55 or older, 34 percent said they operate their device exclusively with two hands versus just nine percent in the 18-34 age group. The reason for the gap, the researcher said, has to do with youths having higher levels of comfort and familiarity with a device as well as possessing greater tendency to multi-task.

Lead image via Creatista, Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

So basically what you're trying to say is, the average smart phone user leaves the other 149,997 pieces of malware and adware available for his or her phone, under used, and under appreciated...:D

This really doesn't mean anything in regards to importance of lesser used apps. While most users spend a good chunk of time in just a few apps (media consumption -- YouTube, Instagram, SnapChat, etc), it doesn't mean that other apps aren't used or important. I don't really see a reason to hang out in Credit Card, Banking, Store, Finance (Mint), etc apps.

I ALWAYS operate 2 handed. But, I do it ON PURPOSE.
I have a BIG screen phone for two distinct reasons. One, I fall into that 55+ range, but just barely,
and because my eyes aren't what they use to be, the 6.1" screen I currently use, is a blessing.
The 2nd, and for reason of safety is it prevents the temptation from trying to text while driving.
There is no way, my finger can reach the keyboard, on a phone that big. If I deem it important enough,
I'll stop, text, wait for a reply, then continue on.

This really doesn't mean anything in regards to importance of lesser used apps. While most users spend a good chunk of time in just a few apps (media consumption -- YouTube, Instagram, SnapChat, etc), it doesn't mean that other apps aren't used or important. I don't really see a reason to hang out in Credit Card, Banking, Store, Finance (Mint), etc apps.
True enough. How many, (other than those suffering with advanced OCD and Savant syndrome), could spend an hour or so reading the Starbuck's menu. (And then recite it back in its entirety, ten years later).

What does it matter? It ain't the app it's the phone that gives people woodies....NO ONE EVER asks what do you do with your Iphone 15a?

Annnnnnnd..... What are those 3 apps??
Im guessing texting/messaging apps are first..

Annnnnnnd..... What are those 3 apps??
Im guessing texting/messaging apps are first..
I would guess that Twitter is up at the top. After all, everybody in the world wants, needs, and has to know, what any other person in the world is doing this very minute, at the same very minute.

For example, I just farted, and I don't have Twitter installed. With respect to typical contemporary behavior, it seems like I'm depriving the rest of the world of valuable insight into what makes cranky "tick". <pun intended. I'll try to do better the next time.

I would guess that Twitter is up at the top. After all, everybody in the world wants, needs, and has to know, what any other person in the world is doing this very minute, at the same very minute.

For example, I just farted, and I don't have Twitter installed. With respect to typical contemporary behavior, it seems like I'm depriving the rest of the world of valuable insight into what makes cranky "tick". <pun intended. I'll try to do better the next time.

Shame on you! I expect a detailed report from @captaincranky at this instant.

I spend most time in the Logitech Harmony app using my phone as a remote control. Other than that its Facebook/Whatapp/Hangouts depending on who I want to contact/am being contacted by, occasionaly IMDB, wikipedia, web search or youtube.

Hey Shawn, did you know that in English three-fourths is more commonly referred to as three-quarters?

Really? No Firefox or Chrome or Safari for that matter in the top list? It's like the only app I ever use there (besides occasional google maps with GPS like once a month maybe).

Back