TechSpot

The Best Keyboards: Mechanical, Wireless, Gaming, Bluetooth & more

By Jos
Jul 28, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Much like it is the case with mice, deciding which keyboard is best for you is a subjective process that largely depends on what you'll be doing with it and what feels comfortable under your hands. This is the part of your computer you interact with the most and thus picking the right part deserves some serious thought. We're here to shave off a few hours from that process, combining our own testing over the years with that of dozens of expert reviews and feedback from hundreds of users across the web.

These are our picks for best keyboards whether you are looking for a gaming-centric keyboard, a space-saving wireless option, something that can connect to multiple devices over bluetooth, get some work done or control your HTPC from the couch.

Read the complete article.

2. gingerpower121

gingerpower121 TS Member

100% agree with the HTPC keyboard. Have it for my home setup and I love it.

3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

Oh haaaay, there's a product on a best of list that I actually have! I do really like the look and feel of the K800, I've had one since it was released back in 2010. Well, it's actually my second; the first had the left control button fail, but that was within it's warranty so I got my replacement for free.

The K520 is a very similar keyboard in design that is a bit cheaper and much much longer battery life. It is however without the backlight and micro USB charge port, and the keystrokes are a bit stiffer as well.

4. UltraModernGuy

UltraModernGuy TS Member Posts: 25   +16

I was kind of hoping to see more than six keyboards, perhaps some runner ups.

Darth Shiv and Geforcepat like this.
  5. Geforcepat

Geforcepat TS Booster Posts: 141   +15

yeah I not sure what this was.

6. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,624   +378

Yeah gaming keyboards have a lot of competition. Would have been nice to see some others for comparison purposes.

Otherwise, great article. Thanks! ☺

7. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 315   +93

I still love my original K70 RGB. Still feels super solid (not a surprise due to all the metal). Back when I was shopping a year+ ago, I was also looking at that Das Keyboard, but I opted for the Corsair (which meant some waiting for release) because the Das didn't have a backlight.

madboyv1 likes this.
  8. plplplpl

plplplpl TS Rookie

Another vote here for the K800. I've got two, and the first one has performed well for five or six years in my HTPC setup, coupled with an MX Revolution mouse atop a repurposed antique ashtray stand.

9. Jeff Schmidt

Jeff Schmidt TS Rookie Posts: 22

I have the Logitech g710+ with brown switches. It has my first mechanical keyboard since using one from the late 80's/early 90's. So nice but not good for typing at all.

10. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +174

Good choices for all except budget. There are plenty of $5-$10 keyboards that work perfectly fine. I love my non-RGB K70 personally.

11. darkzelda

darkzelda TS Addict Posts: 251   +86

I want a K70 but my K30 will have to be enough for now

12. bluto 2050

bluto 2050 TS Enthusiast Posts: 157   +7

Using a recently purchased from Amazon Logitech G610 Orion Brown Back-lit Mechanical Gaming PC Keyboard with MX brown Cherry switches ,double mold keys and it's real decent .I don't game on it .

I'm not a speed typist so their may be better alternatives for all that and there are more game features oriented keyboards from Logitech and others but this one has customization macros and keys if you need all that .

This board is more of an conservative but nice black office type keyboard not unlike a DAS Keyboard but with white dimmable LED per key back light and no major gaming features just a solid std 104 key mechanical and some media buttons ,mute and a loudness wheel for your PC sound it's all very sturdy,clever ,substantial ,weighty and well built above it's price IMO .

It's about 2.6 pounds 17.5 x 6 x 1.4 inches not small or light and no slip rubberized feet and 2 position rear height .

Tts not a compact model and if you use a good mechanical you will never go back to a membrane keyboard if you know ,you know .

I got spoiled on the legendary IBM and IBM clone mechanical at work for decades and this thing plays nice all in all with it's genuine Cherry MX brown switches and it has double mold keys .

For the money and some more than that I think it's a great Logitech product and clean and professional looking an at home in a professional environments more like a DAS keyboard than a bling game board .

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    fortunecookie64 likes this.
  13. Cracken

Cracken TS Rookie

Das keyboard 4 is an expensive overhypped piece of crap in box.

Lotta bullsh*t in this article. First of, if techspot actually digged into products like Das keyboard 4, they would realize that it is a low end product with low end components sold at a premium price. I have owned the das keyboard 4 and tons of other keyboards from all kinds of company's, and das 4 is deffo one of the worst mechanical keyboard money can buy. The keys are wobbels more than most, especially the spacebar, the keys are the cheapest standard ABS plastic ones, the legends are marked using the cheapest method - laser etched keys, they will wear off faster than using a propper method like double mold key caps. The lights on caps, num nock, scroll lock are WAY to bright and not comfortable for the eyes at certain angles(put tape over then or turn them off for fixing. The edges of the keyboard are sharp, cab make it uncomfortable to rest hand/wrist on.The USB cable is very stiff, not flexible, cant change cable on this model. The whole typing experience is sub par to keyboards in lower or similar price range. You could always go for the das keyboard 4 tenkeyless, ohh wait it's even WORSE, in this model they dont even use the original cherry mx switches, but use a cheaper lower quality copy of them, yet they still charge a premium price for it.

Das keyboard represent their products as high quality. The name alone, makes it sound as something German quality. It's not.

In reality Das keyboard is a company from Texas and their products are made in china/taiwan from the cheapest componnents.

EndlessWaves likes this.
  14. Cracken

Cracken TS Rookie

K70 is fine, but really just a standard mechanical board with some backlight and somewhat mediocre software needed to control it. A board like Ducky shine 5 is above it quality wise, somewhat same price range. You get better keycaps(full size ABS double mold). Dual PCB. Better backlight and no need for extra software to control it

15. bluto 2050

.....I couldn't find any reason to buy a Das keyboard for my home uses on this Windows Insider test mule even though the dummy product shills at Cnet think they are all that and they have some different models that don't look bad on paper or in the pictures and Full n-key rollover on the windows KB's but I don't speed type or game on this box

OTOH for *my uses I couldn't find any reason not to buy my Logitech G610 Orion Brown with double mold dimmable back lit keys and 104 std key plus compact media and sound control layout with mute and a volume roller and a decent ,sturdy weighty build quality in a conservative black style /white back-lit letters that would look at home in a professional office, it has the Genuine Cherry MX Brown switches all for less than a 'trendy ' DAS Keyboard and should definitely be included in this BS article anyway .

16. bluto 2050

TBH that G710+ looks a little busy to me for *my typing style.

OTOH my Logitech G 610 104 Key genuine MX Brown Cherry swich KB is real decent but I don't game with it and I'm not a speed typer but if this Logitec G610 is any indication that G710+ should be very well made . . ☺

17. DAOWAce

DAOWAce TS Booster Posts: 249   +30

Currently using a G710+, blue version. Bought the brown version when it came out.. which was the only SKU at the time.

Both aren't very good in terms of tactile feedback (brown has o-rings which are great for reducing bottom out noise; blue doesn't for some reason) and the build quality is pretty bad. If a keyboard 'pings' when you strike a key, then it's an awful mechanical keyboard in my eyes, and this thing pings. The wrist wrest is pretty half assed too. The lighting is white only and very uneven. The keycaps wear away with long term use.

But, it's been the perfect 'standard' keyboard with media keys (especially a mute button!) and backlighting, along with having some extra macro keys thrown on. It's an all around 'good' keyboard for general use.

Still waiting for something to replace it, as I really want a better feeling keyboard.. and to go back to darker lighting (used red on my TactX). Tried the Corsair one.. didn't like it (especially not red switches; brown or blue for me).

18. bluto 2050

Odd my Logitech G610 Cherry MX brown keys don't ping at all the bottom of the key bed is solid as rock .
    Tactile feel is typical MX brown . The dimmable white LED lighting up though the double molded keys is even with at least one LED below each key .

The 104 std KB layout and media control's with mute and a volume roller are convenient and the build is weighty and solid .

OTOH it's ~17.5" wide and not 18-19" or wider but wide enough and maybe not Full n-key rollover.
    For the performance ,money and understated clean black design I'm good with it .

19. Ed Covney

Ed Covney TS Rookie

Does anyone know the value of a "programmable" keyboard? I use a Logitech G510s - 18 x 3 programmable keys that do all of my mundane typing for me. I've also used a Corsair Raptor K50 - 18 x 3 but harder to program and my wife loves her MS Sidewinder - 6 x 3 and the easiest to program.