The best way to upgrade my ram...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjps220

I currently have this:
OCZ Premier Dual Channel 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory 2.5-3-3-7

And I've been told by a few people that 2 GB of memory would really benefit certain games like Oblivion and BF2. I'm confused as to how I would upgrade the memory if I decided to. Would I be better off to get 2 more 512 mb sticks, or replace it with 2 1Gb sticks (I could find a home for the old stuff :))or does it matter at all? If I was to just add 2 more 512 mb sticks, would it be better to get the same memory I have, or faster memory? Is my memory a decent speed?

Sorry, memory has always confused me a little bit and I have a lot of questions about it. Thank you for your help!

good and bad

the two are good upgrades but if space in your motherboard is for 4mem sticks*** i recomend to get 2 1gb modules this way you can keep upgrading in the future

the speed difference in memory is in miliseconds. I doubt you'll notice a difference. Don't bother.

Allways match memory with the same speed, brand, type, and size.

never mix and match.

So there's not a big difference between running 4x512 or 2x1024 assuming that they are all matched pairs? I'm not too concerned about the space on the motherboard because I don't see myself needing 4 gigs anytime soon. Also, if I decide I do, there are lots of computers around that could use more memory.

Make sure your motherboard doesn't have any compatibility issues with 4 sticks. Some mobo's have strange quirks or issues with 4 double sided sticks. As long as you don't overclock it should be fine but there's always a chance you may encounter a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back