The bizarre case of the disappearing document..

By tokyo-joe
Aug 23, 2005
  1. On my desktop I can be writing a word document and suddenly it starts wiping away all I've written line by line as if I'm pressing delete. I keep saving my docs but it still means I can't save everything, plus it's giving me heart palpitations wondering when it'll happen again. It's a bog standard desktop with a wireless keyboard and as far as I know I didn't press any self destruct button.

Does this mean there's a virus? Right before it happened I ran a virus check with AVG which came up with nothing.

Hoping someone can help, and hoping too that this isn't a problem with 10 other threads... thanks in advance.

2. urbandragon

urbandragon TS Rookie Posts: 231

umm the first thing i thought was possible virus... but once i saw wireless keyboard i have other thoughts...

How long has it been since you have changed batteries in your tranmitter/receiver for the wireless device..

does it seem to happen at a specific time of day/night. are there any other electronics that could possibly create some RF interferrence, picking up on the signal and sending false signals to your computer.
  3. tokyo-joe

tokyo-joe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 45

Thanks for replying. The last time it happened my laptop was being used nearby - but that only has a scroll mouse. Otherwise I think it's happened at different times, sometimes when the other computer was on, sometimes not. I changed the battery in the keyboard recently as one or two buttons didn't - and still don't work - basically the cut and paste buttons, which are fast access / short cut buttons which have never worked. The keyboard was bought in England incidentally, and I live in Japan but most of its controls seem to work okay.

It's a puzzle but from now on I'll make a note of what the time is / what other things are on nearby - thanks again for that.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.