The "Blue Screen of Death" Thing, Again - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A57Strat

I've been reading a number of posts on the "blue screen of death" and the dumping of physical memory. What it looks like to me, however, is that even after having these things happen, most people's computers are still operational to a large degree. Not so with mine.

I saw the blue screen and my laptop began dumping the physical memory, but ever since, all it does when I turn it on is ATTEMPT to start Windows XP. Before the OS has a chance to fully load, it shuts off, then tries to restart -- over and over again. XP never loads and I can't even get to the point where I can put it in safe mode and navigate through my files and folders.

I kinda think I'm screwed, and the only recourse for me is to buy and install new RAM cards.

Thanks for listening. Any ideas on this?

You can't get to Safe mode but can you get into the Safe mode Startup screen ?
If so - choose last known good configuration

If you have added any new hardware, remove that first.

The only other option is Windows Repair

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step

Hi, Kim -- and thanks for replying.

Well, I haven't added any new software for quite a long time, so it's not that.

Yes, I can get to the safe mode startup screen, and I've tried starting with the last known good configuration. The problem continues, unfortunately.

I'll take a look at that link you sent me for XP Home repair and see what it says. Hopefully, something there will work. I'll post here later and let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks for replying.

Rick

Kim -- Are You There?

Hey,

Just wanted to tell you that I talked to the Geek Squad this evening and they asked me what error messages comes up when the blue screen appears. I told them that I didn't know, because the screen comes on so quickly and disappears just as quickly that I don't have time to read it. They told me that they know a way to "freeze" the screen long enough for me to copy the error messages -- but guess what? It'll cost me $75 for them to tell me how.....LOL It seems that I can't really proceed without knowing what the errors are, and that makes perfect sense. Do you happen to know how to do it?

And thank you for all your help.

Rick

Yes press pause on the Keyboard !

They are probably using a boot floppy that can also capture the info to disk for $75 I don't think so. I'd rather just read it out

You must play around with Pause (right at the exact time of blue screen)

Just to add a few things to what`s been said :

- To freeze the error mesage :

Get to the boot menu where you were before (tap F8)

Select the "Disable The Automatic Restart On System Failure" item and press [Enter].

All other options are listed HERE

You will need an XP CD,for most solutions.

-I would add one more option to the ones in that thread,run CHKDSK /P

- You can also attach your Hard Drive to another computer using a USB adapter,

or by attaching it as a slave.From there you can run CHKDSK,and copy off personal data.

- The best page for a Repair Install is HERE

Sorry the heat here (my excuse)
I was thinking that you cannot get to the F8 screen

Po`Girl way is not an addition, it is the best way
She is just being nice to me !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back