The boom of casual and mobile gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
You may find surprising that even the webmaster of this site has fell victim of these simpler yet entertaining games. Splinter Cell and NFS:HP2 are two titles currently occupying some space on my disk however I haven’t been playing those lately… call it lack of time or whatever you want, instead a small and funny game called “Tennis Critters” has been getting most of my attention.

The New York Times has a lengthy article about the simple pleasures and growth of casual & mobile gaming, I found this post over at Slashdot which I found quite interesting, perhaps I'm not the only one...

Trends show that 'more and more people are playing simpler, quieter types of electronic games on the Web, cellphones and hand-helds.' The growth in lighter, less time- and resource-intensive games is spurred by the ability to play anytime, anywhere, as much as the rising development costs and production times for a traditional game. A wireless game can cost $40,000 and take a few months to develop, while full-fledged PC and console games can cost $5 million to $10 million and take years to deliver.

This is getting to be a pretty cool section of the video game market. I just changed my cell phone plan and got a Motorola T720.

"Pitfall" was cool to play on my Atari 2600 when I was 10, but it's nice to revisit it on my cell phone when I'm waiting to meet someone or sitting in some business meeting bored out of my mind.

I got that phone too (T720), unfortunately mobile internet is not available where I live so I'm stuck with the original games... I can't complain of Tetris though.

Got any ideas where I can get a PC cable (online retailer) or any ways of transferring files (midis, etc.?) to this phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back