The Coming of 4K: PC Gaming in Ultra HD

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/article/813-4k-ultra-hd-gaming-pc/]https://www.techspot.com/article/813-4k-ultra-hd-gaming-pc/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

How is hardware going to keep up with this? They should start inventing something new I guess...But then all the previous hardware will be inferior.

"... the R90 was specifically built to be a giant pain in the *** because of its 140mm radiator and fan. It fit the case just fine, ..."

Wait what? A furnace of a cpu, needs cherrypicked full size atx motherboard (your words), a spacious and actively cooled case, ... but 140mm radiator is the thing to irritate you? I don't get it. It's not like this cpu is gonna go for a small case with 92/120mm mountings.

Give me good gameplay. Ultra HD gaming means nothing to me if it plays awful...

I am not spending anymore money on 4K I have 1080p 23" LED Ultra Thin HD Monitors here that's enough with the 5 desktops, 2 laptops, 2 netbooks, tablet running Windows 7 and 8. Those who are just starting to get into 1080p should opt for 4K if they got the extra bread for them. I am not into it yet. I can wait until 16K is here then 8K should be cheaper. But the way things are going today I doubt that will be.

Wow thats just like my machine (Except for motherboard and 3 GPU's :p). I plan on finally getting a 4k Asus display this month once they are out to replace my eyefinity setup and just use a secondary 1080p display for other things. Want the desk space back and just feel like 3 monitors is no longer going to be my focus.

This was very cool!

I will care for 4k when the contents is there and the gpu's are powerful enough that I can get playable framerate from a single card without putting everything to medium and that day isn't here yet.

Until then I'm sticking to my 16:10 24' 1200p screen which allows me to get good fps without having to spend $1000+ on gpus.

Wow thats just like my machine (Except for motherboard and 3 GPU's :p). I plan on finally getting a 4k Asus display this month once they are out to replace my eyefinity setup and just use a secondary 1080p display for other things. Want the desk space back and just feel like 3 monitors is no longer going to be my focus.

This was very cool!
I think waiting for the next generation of 4K monitors and GPUs will yield you better results since they will be especially optimized.

I think waiting for the next generation of 4K monitors and GPUs will yield you better results since they will be especially optimized.
Im going to wait and still take a peek at some up close looks of the Asus before I decide, but as far as GPU's go I already bought the 3 290X cards for the reason of eventually jumping up to either 1440p or a 4k screen. But at 649, its pricey but not to bad considering the quality and that its from Asus. Still a work and idea in progress but something I wanted to do.

1440p/1600p should have been the next target. 4K is a huge jump in quadrupling pixels, but 2.5K is roughly only double the pixels. 60fps with 4x AA and all the eye candy is already awesome enough and should be the target specs for any mid-high end graphics card.

1440p/1600p should have been the next target. 4K is a huge jump in quadrupling pixels, but 2.5K is roughly only double the pixels. 60fps with 4x AA and all the eye candy is already awesome enough and should be the target specs for any mid-high end graphics card.
Problem is the T.V market is really what pushes the next resolutions up to the public and to the consumer on what is considered "Good". 1440p and 1600p were completely skipped and in all honesty expensive as monitors but really nice for the gamer but not as a screen for a T.V. The T.V teams decided the next big thing would just be 4k and so did broadcasting/production companies and that's what we got.

That is just how things go sadly.

What about the Samsung U28D590D 28in UHD 4K Monitor, it abit smaller but for $800au so prob $650us. Also what's peoples thoughts on the LG 34UM95-P 34in UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor?

I have no interest in this. My computer system is a 23" screen and that's plenty of me. Gaming and viewing at 1920x1080 on it and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. A 32" screen is too big for me and I don't feel like sticking my face 6" away from the screen. To be honest it sounds pretty stupid to me. To the guys with your triple monitors and stuff that have to have everything, go for it. I'm quite happy at 1920x1080 and smiling right now as I'm looking comfortably at what I'm typing on my screen.

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying the same thing about their 1600x1200 screens and before that their 1280x1024 displays. Nothing wrong really with being on the back side of this curve but it's a little surprising being a regular of a technology enthusiast site.

If you go 4k.. you might aswell buy at least an i5 4670k, and a superclocked 780Ti... just saying.. ;) and that's coming from an AMD user.

I went from a 13 inch laptop 1366X1280 or so... to a 29 inch LG Ultra wide 2560X1080... I cant imagine how 4k is better than this. I have a lonely GTX 760 2GB. I run everything I want on max. 4K is overkill and at the moment the hardware is just to expensive. Get an Ultra-wide and you wont even care about 4k!

What about 32k, 65536k, 4,294,967,296k gameplay? Or how about making some decent 1080p games that aren't as boring as hell sequels instead?...

Reminds me of when a "Home Cinema Enthusiast" friend asked me why I didn't spend thousands on a 3D Blu-Ray projection system : Because modern movies are sh*t... :D

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying the same thing about their 1600x1200 screens and before that their 1280x1024 displays. Nothing wrong really with being on the back side of this curve but it's a little surprising being a regular of a technology enthusiast site.
Maybe it's because such improvements are on a depreciating curve themselves? Difference between 800x600 on a 15" boxy CRT monitor (which reflects the window behind you) vs 1920x1080 on a 24" LED IPS screen is far greater than 1080p on a 24" vs 4k on a 28". There also comes a point where making the monitor too big is counter-intuitive, ie, uncomfortable to sit too close to in terms of ergonomics. So you sit further back at which point, half of that UHD effect is now wasted... Much of this is manufactured hype from TV / monitor manufacturers now they've saturated the market with 1080p devices looking to sell "the next big thing" (and there will always be one of those no matter what you buy)...

Back