The Coming of 8" Windows Tablets: Toshiba Encore Review

Scorpus

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/784-toshiba-encore/]https://www.techspot.com/review/784-toshiba-encore/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

This is not a competitor to iPad, this is a competitor to pen & paper. Ancient spec, sub-par resolution, poor battery life, is there another feature I missed?

Really good response.

Sounds like you really know what you are talking about.

If all I want to do is play Angry Birds in high res on a tablet running a mobile phone operating system with serious unpatched security flaws I'll get an over priced Apple iPad.

If I want to play games, have a great touch experience but also want the freedom of choice to run business applications (or any other full Windows programs that will run on the limited resources available) on a fully blown enterprise grade OS with MS Office included then I'll get a very reasonably priced windows Tablet. Maybe not the Encore but there are plenty of choices out there now with more coming.

I actually have the Encore and its ok. I wish it were thinner and lighter but I love it. I love Windows 8.1 on a tablet. I can split screen any apps (watch a video and browse the web at the same time in tablet mode/modern interface). I can work on Office Docs with full Office, I can carry out power user tasks for network maintenance from the Windows Desktop. I can also ignore all the Desktop side of things and just use the tablet aspects if I want to. I love the freedom of choice and that's what people are missing. If configured correctly, you don't need to see the Windows Desktop ever (and vice versa to not see the Modern Interface).

Yes Windows 8 could have been implemented better, and most importantly, it could have been explained and presented much better than it was. You cant just dump a massive change like this on the world and not educate anyone properly on how to use it like they did. However, with 8.1 (and soon update 1 and then Windows 9) things are so much better and if people would try to learn how it works and actually use it to its full advantage they would have such a better experience.

Thanks my two cents anyway.

Thanks my two cents anyway.

You make a good point: I love Windows 8 on a tablet, even an 8-inch tablet. The desktop is a bit tricky on a small screen so I tended to avoid it, but I love the power user features.

That said, the Encore isn't the 8-inch tablet you should choose (as I said in the review). I've been using a few others and, as you'll see when those reviews go up, there are better options out there.

By the way, this was meant to be a reply to VitalyT. It was not replying to the article.

:)

Yes, the Desktop interface is not easy to use on the tablet (I hope this is improved in Windows 9) but the point it, you have access to it if you need/want it. I don't too often but, sometimes I do and I love the fact that I can. That's the point about Windows 8 on a tablet.

A higher resolution would be nicer but it works as it is on such a small display.

I got the Encore as it was the first one out the door that I could get my hands on with a dedicated HDMI output and GPS function. I would have preferred the Dell Venue Pro 8 from a size, weight and driver update point of view (Toshiba have not posted any updates that I can find since the release of the Encore).

I also really like the new Atom processors. What a difference. Perfect for tablets like his.

What I would like to see from 8" tablets going forward is the following:-

- 1080p Resolution

- Independent USB based power socket or more than one USB connection so you can charge and use other USB devices at the same time.

- A case option with a built-in non-Bluetooth backlit keyboard (with an extra battery would be nice) like the Dell Venue Pro 11 has (although this is missing the Back-light).

- Lighter, thinner, better Battery

And from MS, better tutorials, help and support built-in to the OS. I am not asking for Clippy back (god no!!!) but easy access help for the first time and new users on navigating and using the OS from a touch / keyboard-mouse perspective.

This is not a competitor to iPad, this is a competitor to pen & paper. Ancient spec, sub-par resolution, poor battery life, is there another feature I missed?

Yes, you missed the spot where the iPad is actually a tablet running a tablet operating system, versus W8.1 "tablets" that are full fledged notebooks without the keyboards.

If Microsoft has lowered the cost of the windows 8.1 OS, why is it that most android tablets are way, way cheaper than windows 8.1 tablets?

I see this product competing against Samsung tablets which are sold around 8000ph (galaxy tab 7) to 28000php (galaxy tab pro 10.1") price range (at 1$=50 Philippine pesos)

If Microsoft has lowered the cost of the windows 8.1 OS, why is it that most android tablets are way, way cheaper than windows 8.1 tablets?

I see this product competing against Samsung tablets which are sold around 8000ph (galaxy tab 7) to 28000php (galaxy tab pro 10.1") price range (at 1$=50 Philippine pesos)

I'm just supossing here but logicly speaking intel SOC should be a bit more expensive than ARM's, also you said it yourself Microsoft lowered the cost, they are not giving them away for free.

I'm waiting for the ASUS VivoTab Note 8 to arrive here. Looks better than the Encore in several ways. In particular the Wacom pen should make interacting in desktop mode easier.

As for price, first of all these tablets have some high specs: 2GB RAM, 32GB flash minimum (and it's faster flash than quite a few Android tablets, especially low cost ones) and a quad core good performance CPU. Then there's the Microsoft tax, and probably a price increase because of the smaller market.

All in all I think that $300 is a fair price for a full Windows experience on a tablet, but I would of course love to see better specs in the future, such as 4GB RAM.

Good choice for a picture. Seeing the Windows desktop actually makes it look intriguing. Almost as if it was a tablet for getting work done.

Resolution is OK, but text looks much better with a higher DPI (font smoothing helps but it is not the best solution), and biggest factor is the screen door effect at this DPI gives me a headache after a while.

It will be a slow dog with only 2 GB of memory, remember this is Windows!
Also of the 32 GB, how much is available after the OS takes up about 17 GB and the rest of the bloat where gets added?

"It will be a slow dog with only 2 GB of memory, remember this is Windows!"

"Also of the 32 GB, how much is available after the OS takes up about 17 GB and the rest of the bloat where gets added?"

In case you forgot, remember this is intel atom within 8 inch tablet! and also remember the price is only $279 or $350, so they pushed down the specs to keep this windows tablet more affordable than android/iOS tablet!

Back