TechSpot

The Cornerplay: Apple's iPad strategy is to kill small tablets

1. If a PC company had flat sales, you might think its CEO would go "phew, not bad when the overall market is declining." Not really though: Lenovo, HP, Dell, Acer and Asus all increased sales this past quarter even though the...

Read more

2. Willzzz

Willzzz TS Rookie

My current tablet is 100g lighter and while comfortable for extended one handed use, I suspect even the Air 2 would go over my personal comfort limit. Also it certainly won't fit in my jacket pocket.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Apple will have an uphill battle against the Surface Pro in the business space. I'm currently working in a building that probably has a few thousand Dell laptops. We're slowly replacing them with the Surface Pro 3. It's just as powerful as a business laptop, but it is also a tablet.

Both you, the author, and Apple seem to have forgotten about cost, and more importantly, value. The new Air is $500 and comes with a borderline unusable 16GB of storage. By keeping the base storage low, they both save costs on that model and force more people into the $600 model (64GB). If you want a latest gen iPad that has a cellular connection, it'll run you $529! I know Apple customers are often willing to tap into their 401(k) and/or put off that new car purchase to pay for an iDevice, but for the rest of us these iPad prices look crazy. The Samsung 8.4 inch S Tab is almost 50 grams lighter than the mini 3, has an SD slot and costs the same. The Samsung's screen is higher res, although I'll bet the ipad screen looks nicer color-wise. neither of which a new tablet user would be able to discern.

Also, the usability and size preference is just that.
    The cost of entry for what you get is just really high for iPads, and the mini helps offset that a little, especially for households with kids. I think it'll be around for a while.

Arris likes this.
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

I have never been a tablet person until I got my surface Pro and even then that's only because it still functions like a normal laptop and desktop except with a touch screen. I knew this was coming because honestly I think the idea of a small tablet is becoming obsolete with (Like stated in the article) smart phones getting so big.

I already feel having a tablet and a smart phone is foolish to begin with. Its just a weird investment especially when you look at the mini-tablets because they are not enough bigger than even my iphone 5S. Some people though think they need one of everything to be happy and honestly I just wonder when the burn out will happen with these fads.

5. PaladinNH

PaladinNH TS Rookie

So I could have the old Mini 2 now for $299 or a barely better performing Air 2 for $499? That was actually my takeaway from the new announcements. Same (very good) resolution, marginally better performer, and improved camera don't justify another $200 for me, and likely a lot of others. At 2048x1536, it's sharp enough that it doesn't really need to be bigger, I can read even very small text incredibly clearly.

I like the Air, the Air 2, and 10" tablets just fine. But not for the additional money. Mini 2 is still the best value option, and even better at $299.

yogajitsu and Julio Franco like this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,490   +2,040

"I considered purchasing the first iPad Air".
    I also considered the same thing then I sobered up. :D

7. yogajitsu

yogajitsu TS Rookie

Yeah, I think the ipad mini hit a sweet spot in the size range for usability and with the same resolution and features of the larger ipad 2. Its a shame they didnt put an A8 processor in the mini 3 and give it all the same features as the ipad air 2. I think apple thought ipad mini users wouldnt notice or mind but it is not a toy or kid version. I'm hoping they realize the mistake and come out with a mini 4 during the summer.

8. ChromeShine

ChromeShine TS Rookie Posts: 32

I have the iPad Air = much better than the Mini for $399 now. If you are into tablets, it is the deal. I find a tablet as a third fiddle instrument. I still use the PC and smartphone the most, with the tablet finding some limited use, and OK to have on the desktop for using Siri and watching notifications for News and such. For showing photos, the iPad Air is first class. The iPad Mini is not as good a screen.

9. J_Gert

J_Gert TS Rookie

As pilot in a small cockpit, the mini is one of the best things to have. ForeFlight kills all competition when it comes to admin in the aircraft. The Air is just too big for us in fighter aircraft which sets the mini for success in our world.