TechSpot

The Cornerplay: Free Microsoft Office on mobile is a clear attempt to secure the next generation

1. The Internet went into a tizzy when Microsoft announced editing documents in Office for iOS and Android was going free for non-businesses. Remember when Microsoft finally made Windows Phone free for OEMs? We all thought, it was about time, by...

Read more

2. Should be really easy for them since the next generation is already addicted to microtransactions and unlocking additional content in games. So there won't be any problem with draining their pockets - not mention stripping down from privacy with recent changes to SkyDrive (meta file infos) and Dropbox support where C. Rice found new place to live.

3. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

It's a smart move, and similar to how they secured an older generation with 111-111117 Keys in all their early software to ease adoption. Led to countless millions of dollars in purchasing as that group made it into the workforce and started making recommendations.

They kind of missed the ball on the last 10+ years though. Overly expensive software, abundant updates that seemingly did nothing drove a lot of us to LibreOffice/OpenOffice and haven't bothered looking back

4. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +940

how is this annoying? I prefer looking at word documents in portrait mode on everything, it just feels more natural.

5. Anything free from Microsoft is still to expensive, because it is buying you vendor lock-in.

6. yRaz

Well you can go ahead and buy a mac. That way you can overpay to be vendor locked in

Skidmarksdeluxe and gibbstar like this.
  7. I don't believe you use a keyboard dock with the tablet in portrait, do you?

8. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

^ This.

Also as in everything software, it can and will likely get better since the idea as stated by the post is to hook up and not alienate more.

9. yRaz

no, I don't. I also wouldn't hire anyone who expects to do serious work on a tablet.